[nfbwatlk] FW: [Nfbnet-members-list] More On Improving Access to Braille Instruction for Blind Students

Mary Ellen gabias at telus.net
Thu May 31 05:46:05 UTC 2012

The links to letters in this message from the NFB members list make for
fascinating, and infuriating reading.  Nothing new, the same old attempts to
bring on the magnifiers and confuse the issues.

What universe do these TVI's inhabit?  Do they honestly believe that there
exist blind children with sufficient eyesight to read print who don't learn
how to do so?  I'm totally blind and learned the shapes of print letters so
that I could read raised letter signs on doors and plaques.  Print is
everywhere!  It's useful to know.  Every element in our society presses
blind children with some residual sight to use it to the max.  Is there even
one low vision child in the country who hasn't been routinely asked, with
great hope and anticipation, "Can you see that?"

Teach blind kids how to read, in Braille, and they'll learn to read print if
they have the visual capacity.  We can point to literally hundreds of
stories of blind adults who wish they'd been taught Braille as children.  I
have never met a single blind adult with residual vision who has been print
deprived.

I'm glad Dr. Maurer answered the TVI letter with the scorn it deserved.  If
you skimmed the message and didn't follow the links to the letters, I highly
recommend going back and reading what Dr. Maurer said.  (Unfortunately, to
fully understand his response, you'll have to read the drivel from the TVI.)

I'm grateful that a growing number of teachers of blind children have
recognized the wisdom of our position on Braille and are advocating for
their students with commitment and skill.  Denise, when you're forced to
deal with people whose attitudes are like the ones in that TVI letter,you
have more fortitude than I do.

  _____