[nfbwatlk] Greater Seattle chapter meeting

mjc59 at q.com mjc59 at q.com
Wed May 9 22:52:02 UTC 2012

Hi everyone,

My apologies for the delay in posting this.

We had another great chapter meeting in April.

Sixteen people attended the meeting. We had 3 new members who joined; Elisa O'Neil, Michael O'neil and Robert Guyette.

Cleo Brooks, Director of the Seattle Public Library's Library Equal Accessibility Program (LEAP) was our guest speaker. She told us of 3 upcoming events. The first is a showing of the movie "The Social Network" with added descriptive service (details are in another list posting). The second is an Accessibility Camp June 2nd and 3rd at the Downtown Library. This event will feature discussions and presentations about web accessibility. The third event is a Paralymtics-ralated event sponsored by Seattle Adaptive Sports on Sat., July 14th from 1:30 p.m. - 3 p.m. in the Library's Microsoft Auditorium. It will feature a blind tandem cyclist who rides on a 4 person tandem. Several chapter members will be volunteering at this event. For more information on these activities call Cleo at 206-615-1380.

We had a lively discussion concerning methods that blind people can employ in order to independently fill out (Braille) and sell raffle tickets to other blind people. President Mike Mello will incorporate them when he gets our iPad raffle tickets, which will be available at either our May or June meeting.

Doug Johnson, our chapter Treasurer, informed us that our chapter bank account has a balance of $1,313.43. We look forward to increasing this through our fund-raising.

Robert Guyette spoke to us about his work as a volunteer tour guide at the Museum of Flight. He has a vast knowledge of  all of the details at the museum. He expressed interest in having a group of chapter members go on a tactile tour where we could experience more than on a regular tour. Normally there are barriers between visitors and exhibits. We also talked about developing  more audio, as well as Braille, informatins that blind museum patrons could use in order to tour the museum independently. Marci and Robert will meet to work on ideas.

Our next chapter meeting will be on Saturday, May 19th at 10:30 a.m. in the Downtown Public Library  4th floor, room 2. No food or beverages are allowed in the room.

We welcome anyone who is interested in attending. You can call Mike Mello at 208-301-0565 or Marci Carpenter at 206-933-7971