[nfbwatlk] eye exams for doctors

Frederick Driver wt329 at victoria.tc.ca
Fri Mar 30 23:52:42 UTC 2012

Hello Becky,

I'm sorry for your loss.

Obviously, sighted doctors need good vision.  And it seems reasonable to
test for adequate vision in sighted doctors when they get to an age at
which declining vision is common.  And this may well save lives.  That is
common sense.

However, as you know, there are also blind doctors, who duly qualified,
without vision, and who practice without vision.  It would be absurd to
say, when they reach a certain age, they are disqualified from practicing
because they can't pass an eye exam!  That would certainly not be common
sense.

The doctor interviewed in the article referred to airline pilots and car
drivers being required to pass eye exams, as a justification for requiring
doctors to do so.  Underlying that very broad and unconditional statement
is the assumption that, without vision, one cannot be a doctor.  And we
know that to be incorrect.

Test sighted doctors for vision.  Sure.  But don't assume a blind person
can't be a doctor, and don't disqualified duly qualified blind doctors
because they can't pass an eye exam.

I think their governing body needs to be reminded of this.

Mary Ellen asked if I knew the contact information of the organization.
Here it is below.

Rick

http://www.cmq.org/

http://www.cmq.org/en.aspx