[nfbwatlk] Greater Seattle Chapter meeting summary and announcements

Wed Jun 6 16:53:20 UTC 2012

Mike and Listers,

While I cringe at the thought that sighted people are going to experience nothing but darkness, rather than what it's really like to be blind in this kind of situation, and while I inherently oppose such programs, Dr. Jernigan used to teach us that if we can be in control of a situation otherwise bad or obnoxious, we can make the content more palatable to us, and to the greatest extent possible in our best interest.  We have come a long way in educating the public, and we have a long way to go.  If we can have our guys in this event, raising funds, and providing our philosophical point of view, that's better than the alternative, having it staffed with folks who are of a different, destructive bent.  Just  my opinion.

/s/

Bennett Prows

-----Original Message-----
From: nfbwatlk-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:nfbwatlk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Mike Mello
Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2012 11:47 PM
To: NFB of Washington Talk Mailing List
Subject: Re: [nfbwatlk] Greater Seattle Chapter meeting summary and announcements

It is my hope that with this response, you will further understand the intentions of this opportunity, and the reason for bringing chapter members to volunteer with The Blind Caf?.

About a month ago, Rosh Rocheleau contacted me informing me of an event sponsored by the Blind Caf?. This opportunity consists of a dinner, Q&A, and concert. These events occur in the dark. People from the community purchase tickets, and are guided by blind wait staff. Blind people also facilitate and provide answers during the Q&A. Although the menu and entertainment are prearranged, the event seemed to exert the intention of fostering community and open-mindedness. Rosh included this sentence in his email. We really care about this event being an empowering and respectful event for the blind community. His overall message was positive, but this sentence especially conveyed to me that this opportunity would be unlike previous dining in the dark experiences I had heard about.

I contacted some NFB leaders I know in Texas before committing to the experience. I learned that The Blind Caf? stopped in Austin, and that the local chapter and state affiliate found the experience positive and recommended that we endorse it as well. These contacts are well-known and longtime federationists, and their positivity combined with the eagerness and enthusiasm of Rosh and The Blind Caf? gave me comfort in committing to assist them in their event.

Four members of the Seattle chapter will assist at the event on the evenings of June 8 and 9, and all of these individuals have a strong NFB philosophy and live independent and fulfilling lives. Since it was made clear to me that we would guide the Q&A, I feel that this experience will assist in The Blind Caf?s mission of bringing people together and exploring new ideas.

As with any idea we encounter, you can pick this experience apart and give advice. The Blind Caf? could certainly seek out blind chefs and performers, and we might suggest this to them. However, this organization is grassroots and the nature of it is to bring this experience to cities throughout the country. Even though this event has the potential of displaying more types of blindness skills, I chose to act on the previously indicated positivity. And I know that through the example of the blind volunteers of the chapter, this organization will only be empowered as their mission strives.

I understand that many disability awareness events make someone just aware enough of a disability to be scared to death and cause them to leave the experience with a negative and youre so amazing, but I could never do that attitude. I also understand that events sponsored by the Seattle local chapter, such as our annual chapter picnic in which many nonmembers are invited to, are entirely created and implemented by blind people. However, there are some events and fundraisers that the local chapter and state affiliate endorse that are not solely created and run by blind people. Many NFB chapters participate in the Macys Shop for a Cause sale. Macys is not a chain owned and operated by blind people, yet we choose to take advantage of a charitable opportunity. Although blind people are not solely responsible for this event, the Seattle local chapter is sure to staff the information table with blind members and positive literature. Even though these events are not synonymousThe Blind Caf? is designed to create community and to spread new ideas, and the Macys Shop for a Cause is a fundraiserthey are both opportunities to provide a positive example of blindness, and any opportunity to do this is priceless.

Given these circumstances, I feel that since we were offered an opportunity, and since it is evident both from conversations, with and about the forerunners of The Blind Caf?, have conveyed positivity, we will continue to participate as planned.

I also understand that this event is a first for the Seattle chapter. And with this in mind, we will take note as to whether the overall message aligns enough with the NFB. I feel that each chapter must undertake new experiences to stay vibrant and active, and this is an example of a new event that the Seattle chapter is attempting. Like some fundraisers and membership activities, this may not serve as an adequate representation of the chapter, but it has radiated enough encouragement that I am confident to pursue it now and to evaluate its effectiveness afterword.

I would encourage you to view The Blind Caf?s website, www.theblindcafe.com, to better understand their mission. I would especially like to point out that their mission encompasses much more than blindness or blind people. I know that most of the work of the NFB deals directly with blindness, but I more importantly think that it is innovative for a nonprofit to choose blindness as a tool of engaging communities. It is a new perspective for most, and a revolutionary concept that could afford us a positive influence on countless individuals.

Mike Mello

On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 21:57:37 -0700, Humberto Avila wrote:

>Really? Dining in the dark event, for this chapter's events? I was told
>on another NFB listserve, that blindness organizations
should not organize or do Dining in the Dark events, especially an organization like the NFB, that promotes positive attitudes of blindness and positive philosophies of blindness. It has been claimed that, even though you are trying to make your diners have a positive experience, no matter how positive you are, the diners still get the notions that "oh, how does this blind person eat this?" or "how the heck can a blind person use a spoon or knife to cut and or put food in the mouth?" or "It must be so hard being blind; I just can't think of myself not being able to even eat because I can't see!" or "Blind people are so freekin' amazing! They have heightened senses! I am not sure if I could do that if I couldn't see!"

>Before organizing these events, you need to consider those things I
>just mentioned. Dining in the Dark events do not show
sighted communities that in fact, blind people can do everything and anything a sighted person can, and that they are normal beings, and simply, their eyesight does not work, causing them blindness, which is just a physical nuisance. Instead, they show the negative perceptions I just quoted above, and bring those outdated stereotypes that people always seem to have. If I were an experienced pilot or airline crew member, and was to make you get on the cockpit of a Boeing Jet plane, take the pilot seat and the controls, and tell you, "Fly to this destination." What would you do? What would you think? What would you say? How would you react? What attitudes may you have?

>Well, you might think, "how the h*ll can this pilot lift this thing
>into the air and fly?" and "this is impossible. I can't do this; I'm
not a pilot." Why might you think this? Because you haven't had the training and crucial skills that pilots undergo in order to fulfill the task of flying an air craft. You don't know what it's like, because you don't have the experience of flying and driving an airplane into the air and knowing how to take off and land. Well, it is the same thing. A sighted person does not know that a blind person can do all this and that and go here and there with independence and skill, competently and confidently, and with freedom. Just like with the pilot Vs. Untrained person, the sighted need to realize that it takes us training, a lot of training indeed to fulfill the tasks that we do every day. They need to know that, since we are little and learning, we need to learn how to do everything nonvisually. They must know that we need to have instruction in the fields of Braille, Adaptive technology, and learn to say "yes I can" to every challenge. Blind people need to be skilled, since they are kids, to do everything a sighted person can do, self-sufficiently and with ease. Heck even I can insure you in the future that blind persons will be able to drive, given the proper skill and training they could get! (smile).

>Marci, I am not cancelling your event what so ever. I am just making
>sure that you can indeed understand and think about
all I have told you about promoting blindness with Dining in the Dark events like the one you are going to put together as a chapter. Yes, I have learned a lot myself, even from reading the conversations and threads that were going around a couple of months ago when a Calif. newspaper covered a story about a foundation that's supposedly doing a dining in the Dark event to show how blind people could or could not eat, or more metaphorically, how they can or cannot do things. The facts, according to list member, started the thread.

>If you really want to organize the event you are going to organize that
>day, please find interesting, more appealing, creative
ways, and I mean Creative with a capital C, about this Dining in the Dark event, that fosters a positive view of blindness.
Something you could do is: you can bring together some blind chefs that you know in your chapter, or blind people who have great experiences in cooking who are blind and are positive in their blindness themselves, who are willing to volunteer their time. They could cook and put together a very delicious meal for dinner at a nice, public facility and many sighted people can attend. They can support your local chapter by donating a few bucks for purchasing the meal cooked totally by blind people, and, more importantly, they can watch how the meal is being cooked if they want to, and how they serve, ETC.
they could see for themselves that positive attitude of blindness the NFB is trying to promote. This could be quite the contrary to a Dining in the Darks Event.
>Otherwise, if you don't come up with something so creative, a
>federation leader or someone experienced in the positive
philosophies of Blindness of the NFB, will ticket the Dining in the Darks event and perhaps call it "quits". Isn't that right, Mike?

>Well, quick but quite lengthy reflection for you. My 5 dollars, for what is worth.

>Cheers,
>Humberto

and Saturday, June 8th and 9th. These dinners are being coordinated by A Federation member and will incorporate positive attitudes about blindness. They will take place at the Fremont Baptist Church at 7:30 p.m. each evening. Federation members will sit at the tables with the sighted diners.

>We finalized plans for our chapter picnic. Noel Nightingale and Jim
>Peterson will host the chapter picnic at their lovely
home. The picnic will be held on Saturday, July 28th at 4 p.m. The chapter will provide hamburgers and hot dogs. Those attending are asked to bring a side dish or dessert. Address and transportation details will be included in the June meeting summary. Everyone is welcome to attend. The picnic is always a lot of fun!

>Our iPad 3 raffle tickets will be available at the June meeting.
>Tickets will be $5 each. The raffle drawing will occur during
the NFBW State Convention in Everett in October.

>We passed a motion officially supporting our participation in the 2012 Shop  For A Cause at Macy's at the end of August.
James Janney has secured a good location on the first floor for our table. For a suggested donation on $5 shoppers will receive a coupon for a discount on their Macy's purchases.

>A new member, Cindy Bennett, joined the chapter. Cindy is a recent
>graduate of BLIND, Inc. and has recently moved to
Seattle.

>Our June meeting will be held on Saturday, June 16th at 10:30 a.m. at
>the Downtown Seattle Public Library, 1000 4th Avenue;
4th floor, room 2. Please join us there!