[nfbwatlk] Fwd: lecture of interest? - LEARNING TO SEE: INSIGHTS FROM SIGHT RESTORATION AND EXPERT VIDEO GAMERS

Mike Mello mike at mello.com
Fri Feb 3 20:59:23 UTC 2012

Ione Fine, UW Psychology Faculty, thought members of the NFB of Washington might be interested in this lecture:

LEARNING TO SEE: INSIGHTS FROM SIGHT RESTORATION AND EXPERT VIDEO GAMERS

Wednesday, March 7, 2012, 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM, UW Seattle Campus, Kane Hall 130.

Ione Fine, Associate Professor, Department of Psychology, University of Washington
Daphne Bavelier, Professor, Brain and Cognitive Sciences, University of Rochester

People's visual systems might, at first, seem to all be the same - we open our eyes and we all see roughly the same thing.
Drs. Fine and Bavelier will discuss recent research with two groups of people - those whose sight is restored in adulthood
due to advances in medical science and expert video game players - that show that our visual systems are shaped by our
experiences. The way we see the world is flexible, adaptable and unique.

Additional information and to register:  http://engage.washington.edu/site/Calendar?id=105421&view=Detail

The seventh annual Allen L. Edwards Psychology Lecture Series - Understanding Brains and Behavior - brings notable
psychologists to the University of Washington to co-present with faculty from the UW Department of Psychology.  Together
they will examine how the brain supports complex human and animal behavior. This free, public series is made possible by
a generous bequest from Professor Allen L. Edwards with the support of a bequest from Professor Roger B. Loucks.

Betty Johanna
Colloquium Coordinator
UW Department of Psychology, Box 351525, Seattle WA 98195-1525
206/616.5274        bjohanna at u.washington.edu

Michael J. Mello

mike at mello.com

(208) 301-0565