[nfbwatlk] FW: NFB stand on Blind Child Area signs?

Mary Ellen gabias at telus.net
Wed Aug 29 17:07:37 UTC 2012

Certainly a good question.  The driver who struck and killed Andy Verden of
Minnesota got off with a fine.  I'm sure it's not easy for him to live with
the realization that he took a human life with his car.  Andy was hit after
dark in a snowstorm.  Though I would never have called andy a good traveler,
he was in the cross walk at the time.  Some of our people wonder if the
young man might have been texting instead of paying close attention to the
road.  We'll never know.  I'm not suggesting they should have thrown him in
jail because nothing could have brought Andy back.  I do believe, however,
that a fine for failing to yield to a blind person carrying a white cane was
insufficient recognition of the gravity of Andy's death.