[nfbwatlk] FW: NFB stand on Blind Child Area signs?

Mary Ellen gabias at telus.net
Wed Aug 29 05:07:54 UTC 2012

There used to be deaf child signs in Ohio.  One of the funniest was a sign
that said "Slow! Children."  My parents commented that their children were
anything but slow.  The local agency for the blind in Toledo used to have a
sign that said "Blind Crossing," somewhat like "Cattle Crossing."  As my
friend Pete Grunwald put it when a similar sign was posted near the
Lighthouse in Chicago "The blind cross here, but nowhere else."  One could
argue that having such signs actually makes us less safe, since drivers
won't expect us in places without special signs.  In Kelowna, they should
have a sign warning drivers that pedestrians actually exist.  Many people
here get behind the wheel and act as if automobiles are all that's on the
roads.  Heaven help those who walk or bike!