[nfbwatlk] NFB of Washington Convention Agenda Items

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Mon Aug 27 03:07:49 UTC 2012

Fellow Federationists:

The convention agenda is beginning to take shape. Several interesting items
are currently in the works. However, there are still some slots open. If you
have ideas for presentations or activities during the convention you might
find interesting, please let me know on this list. I can't guarantee that
your "pet items" will end up on the agenda but it's always good to have new
ideas to keep the interest of convention-goers.

Traditionally, we've had convention seminars and/or exhibits on Friday with
a dinner that evening combined with an open meeting of the NFB of Washington
Board of Directors followed by a meeting of the resolutions Committee.
Resolutions are documents stating a problem and stating what actions the NFB
of Washington proposes to take to deal with these problems. They are voted
on in committee and then by the general membership at the convention and
those that pass become NFB of Washington policy.

Last year, we tried the experiment of holding the Board of Directors and
Resolutions Committee metings on Friday afternoon, leaving time Friday
evening for youth or other activities. The experiment failed so I'm going
back to our "traditional" schedule. This does not mean, however, that we
can't change things a bit.

One question I'd appreciate ideas on is what, if anything, we should do on
Friday, October 19. In the pastw, we've had blind student seminars, a
diabetes seminar (this was back in 2004), we've had exhibits and when we
were in Vancouver, we had tours of the Washington State School for the
Blind. However, it's getting harder and harder to find items to induce
people showing up much earlier than late Friday afternoon - this when some
other affiliates such as that of California start seminars on *Thursday!* So
what, if anything, should take place Friday morning and early Friday
afternoon before the dinner and board of Directors meeting?

All ideas welcome.

Mike Freeman