[nfbwatlk] SUB MINIMUM WAGE

Cynthia Bennett clb5590 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 00:09:48 UTC 2012

Here is the URL for the NFB's web page on the Fair Wages Initiative.
This page contains a lot of good information such as articles and
speeches surrounding the issue, supporting letters, and a list of the
over 45 other organizations that support the NFB on this initiative. I
have copied the history section of the home page below, and the
biggest figure that I remember is that 95% of workers in sheltered
workshops never move onto other or competitive employment. That
doesn't fare well if these entities want to continue relying on the
delusion that these sheltered workshops are career training centers to
get them more tax breaks and preferential contracts. Also, it is
estimated that 30% of vocational cases have sheltered workshop
employment as a goal for successful employment. I have sent this
message, and Mary Ellen's replies to Anil Lewis, the Fair Wages gooroo
at the national center. In the past, he has always been open to
providing whatever information anyone needs surrounding the issue, so
I have asked him to provide the facts and figures he shared at
national convention.

Before I copy the history, I think it is important to know that this
issue is new to a lot of people. I didn't know what to think of it
when I first heard about it, and it took me learning a lot of
information before I decided to support it. I think we should always
be supportive of people with all opinions even though it is easy to be
angry and short with people who don't agree with us. I think that with
other minority groups, minority ethnicities, LGBT, etc., we have made
efforts to include these people in the workplace, and for the most
part, people believe in the inherent judgment and intellect abilities
of many minority groups. Although it isn't perfect, I think we have
made progress. However, when it comes to people with disabilities, it
is still acceptable to treat them like we used to treat minorities and
pay them less than what they’re worth. so in my opinion, it is now
time for society to catch up and realize that the institutional ideas
they have been fed by society and their experiences about the inherent
incompetence of people with disabilities are flawed.

Just as the NFB training centers give blind people the proper training
to award them fair opportunity, other disabilities need similar
programs. If some people thought outside the box and developed
excellent and proven successful strategies for blind people to obtain
competitive employment, then I bet there are a ton of alternative
techniques that can be helpful for people with other disabilities,
and, of course, the blindness skills that the NFB advocates for are
still not prevalent. (Anil actually has a few stories of agencies
thinking outside the box and finding competitive employment for people
with an array of disabilities. So these do exist, but I don't think
they are as established or as familiar to us as the NFB centers.) So
instead of doing the popular thing and shuffling people that society
is too narrow-minded to creatively include into demeaning sheltered
workshops, we should foster independence. The first step in this
process is to get rid of the legislation that gives many entities no
incentive to treat their disabled workers fairly. Then we can attempt
to alter the attitudes of the trainers at these workshops to teach
transferable skills and to provide positivity and hope for a
fulfilling future.

History:

Section 14(c) of the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 (FLSA) allows
entities holding what are called “special wage certificates” to pay
their disabled workers less than the federal minimum wage. These
entities are almost always segregated workplaces, sometimes called
“sheltered workshops,” that employ workers with various disabilities,
including sensory, physical, and cognitive or developmental
disabilities. Federal law requires that certain goods and services
procured by the federal government be purchased from these sheltered
workshops in order to provide workers with disabilities with
employment, but these workers do not have the same protections that
other American workers have. Most importantly they do not receive the
federal minimum wage. In recent times some of these sheltered
workshops have begun to pay disabled workers the minimum wage or
higher. Because they receive very lucrative federal contracts, even
those workshops that are paying workers competitive wages have no
trouble maintaining their operations and even being quite profitable.
But some shops still claim that they would be unable to continue their
operations and would have to fire their workers with disabilities if
forced to pay the minimum wage, even though this claim is demonstrably
false.

In 1973 Congress passed the Rehabilitation Act, and in 1990 the
Americans with Disabilities Act became law. Both of these laws are
designed to help workers with disabilities obtain competitive
employment outside of these sheltered workshops.

For further background and history, please visit the links below.

http://www.nfb.org/fair-wages

Cindy