[nfbwatlk] FW:ILRUSurvey: AssistiveTechnology forPeople With Disabilities

Gloria Whipple glowhi at centurylink.net
Sun Aug 5 21:43:26 UTC 2012

The iphone is expensive enough.

Gloria Whipple

-----Original Message-----
From: nfbwatlk-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:nfbwatlk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On
Behalf Of Mary Ellen
Sent: Sunday, August 05, 2012 14:42
To: 'NFB of Washington Talk Mailing List'
Subject: Re: [nfbwatlk] FW:ILRUSurvey: AssistiveTechnology forPeople With
Disabilities

Yes, I've seen the Refresh-a-Braille and like what I've seen.  It has a
joystick that does some of the functions on an Iphone, which is handy.  The
size is limited, but that adds to portability.

I don't know if the Refresh-a-Braille allows you to switch lines
automatically the way some other devices do.  If it does, a short display
could be a nice thing; you wouldn't have to move your fingers that far and
you could set the speed to match your reading speed.  I'm considering the
Refresh-a-Braille, but am also a little worried about the short line length.
The HumanWare Brailliant works with the Iphone, too, as does the Braille
Note.  Both of those devices have a longer line, but are less portable than
the Refresh-a-Braille.  It's nice to have choices, though none of the
choices are perfect.

I saw a Braille display at the convention with a censor in it that
automatically switched lines when your finger got to the end of the display.
Unfortunately, the display alone cost over six thousand dollars, so doubt
I'll be getting one soon.  Grin!