[nfbwatlk] Article regarding NY streets

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Thu Aug 2 02:52:51 UTC 2012

Congrats, Debby! How exciting!

Incidentally, if you go to <http://www.nfbw.org> and click on the "About
Blindness" link, one of the links there is to Elizabeth's blog.

I tend to be a bit more hard-nosed still than some members of NFB about
accessible pedestrian signals. For instance, in the case you, Debby, cited,
if there isn't muchtraffic on the parallel street, why worry about it. I
usually then just look for lulls in the cross-street traffic and go for it!
Such strategies are a bit more perilous with the advent of hybrid and quiet
cars but I still go for it.

Nonetheless, I have no problem with the sort of audible signals in the
RoseQuarter in Portland that give a countdown to the WALK signal and then
shut up. It's the beeping/chirping/burping signals that go on through the
whole WALK cycle that get me; like Mary Ellen, I find them distracting. But
if a signal that shuts up after the start of the WALK cycle is calibrated
correctly to the light, it's marginally useful.

As everyone has pointed out, the problem is the tone of the article and the
implication that we, the blind, cannot be expected to adjust to a changing
world.

Mike Freeman