[nfbwatlk] Article regarding NY streets

Mary Ellen gabias at telus.net
Wed Aug 1 21:20:19 UTC 2012

Good points, Debbie.

The NFB position on audible pedestrian signals has become much more nuanced
over the past decade.  When they first were introduced in the early 1970's,
the consensus within the Federation was that any place congested enough to
warrant a walk signal probably was congested enough to give us plenty of
information about traffic flows.  That was before right turn on red,
flashing arrows, and all the other complexities traffic engineers have added
to visual signaling.  Now the NFB position, which was adopted some time
within the past ten years, (or maybe the last fifteen), is that APS is
valid, but that the blind people in each local community should be consulted
about where they belong and where they don't.  Since not every signal is
going to have an APS, and since we don't want every signal to have an APS,
our intent was that they be put where blind people feel they're most needed.
The tendency in some communities was to put an APS near the agency for the
blind even when those intersections were easier to navigate than some others
in a town or city.

Because some have not heard that we've moderated our earlier opposition, we
have some educating to do.  There are those within the Federation who are
still opposed to APS as a matter of principle.  I personally don't like them
when the traffic gives clear information because they tend to distract me
from listening to the traffic and I tend to get lazy, a potentially
dangerous lapse.

The city of Kelowna has done a really clever thing.  Because neighbors were
complaining about the noise of Aps, the city has rigged theirs so that they
only sound when a person holds the "walk" button for three to five seconds.
If someone just presses it, no APS, and no ambient noise to disturb the
neighbors.  Blind people who want to hear the chirps and tones can hold the
button; those who don't want to hear the APS, blind or sighted, can just
push the button quickly and listen to the traffic only.

That compares with Victoria, where the APS goes off every time the walk
light comes on.  When streets are close together, as in short blocks, it's
not uncommon to have a hard time distinguishing between the APS for one
street and those for the street a block away.  It's also fairly noisy.

Part of the difference is that no walk sign comes on for anyone in Kelowna
unless a button on a pole is pressed.  I had been calmly walking across an
intersection for more than three years with no problem when I happened to be
crossing with a young girl.  She freaked out because the "walk" sign wasn't
on.  That's when I realized there was a pole with a push button there.  The
traffic was very easy to distinguish; it never occurred to me that the
sighted weren't getting their walk sign until she told me.

As a mother teaching young sighted children how to judge traffic, I disliked
the little stick man walk sign.  First, I thought the word "walk" is nicer
because it's a subtle but powerful means of teaching a young child that the
printed word has value.  Second, and far more important, I found that my
children were paying attention to the stick figure and ignoring traffic.  I
kept telling them to keep an eye on the cars, since nobody has ever been hit
by a lighted stick figure!  Come to think of it, that's not a bad reminder
for us adults, with or without an APS, to paraphrase a campaign slogan from
twenty years ago, "It's the automobiles, stupid."

I've come to value an APS in some circumstances, but I hope I never get
complacent and forget to check out what I hear the traffic doing.

The major difficulty with the article from the New York Times is that it
grossly underestimated our ability to pick out information from the
environment and also grossly underestimated our ability to deal with change.
Your point that older people find change more difficult is valid, but the
writer seemed to say that the blindness, rather than age, was the reason for
difficulty in adjusting.  Anyone who thinks blind people need an unchanging
environment has never lived in a home with several small children!  Grin.