[nfbwatlk] {Disarmed} NYTimes.com: With Changes in New York's Streets, More Hurdles for the City's Blind Pedestrians

mjc59 at q.com mjc59 at q.com
Wed Aug 1 02:09:30 UTC 2012

I found the link to this disturbing article today on the WTBBL Facebook page. They had another post which asked people to give their hometown streets an "A", "C" or "F". The NY Times article suggests (strongly) that without the ability to memorize every manhole cover and the number of steps required to get to one's destination, traveling as a blind pedestrian is dangerous and extremely difficult. It paints a very bleak picture of us as blind people. I found the article, and WTBBL's posts,to be quite disturbing and offensive. I plan to send comments to both entities. I would urge everyone with a facebook page to do so as well.

Your colleague,

Marci Carpenter