[nfbwatlk] NOTICE OF PUBLIC MEETING

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sat Oct 1 17:16:28 UTC 2011

I would encourage as many members of NFB of Washington as possible to
participate in this meeting; I plan to call in. as many library patrons as
possible need to make their views known, given the current revenue shortfall
the state is facing. Not to put too fine a point on it, I believe that
unless we can come up with alternate funding sources for WTBBL programs, all
nonessential programs such as the Evergreen Radio Reading Service are (and
should be) on the chopping block. We must decide what are essential library
services and what a programs that are nice to have but not crucial to
WTBBL's mission.

I don't like having to write the foregoing but the time has come to face
reality. Either we come up with alternative funding for non-NLS-related
programs or they face the axe. While we can keep pleading with the
legislature not to cut programs and that library services have been cut
enough, we must acknowledge that all other pressure groups are making
equally plausible pleas and the legislature is unlikely to grant all
our/their wishes.

Mike Freeman