[nfbwatlk] {Disarmed} FW: Tell Gregoire's Task Force to set right priorities

Jacob Struiksma lawnmower84 at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 18 06:25:35 UTC 2011

--

I'm following-up on the email I sent on Tuesday.

Governor Gregoire tasked the Connecting Washington Task Force with setting
the priorities for the next big transportation package. Unfortunately, it
looks like those priorities might not match our shared vision for a better
future of fixing what's broken first, more transit, and building great,
healthy communities.

We need to send a clear message to the Governor's Task Force that our
principles are the bedrock foundation for transforming transportation.
That's why it's so important to complete the Task Force's official online
survey.

<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=%2BGMtewxRVEf33weYzBe
N9%2F83m9Qfa%2BH0> Take the official online survey now >>

On Tuesday, more than 300 of us took the survey. That's great! The survey is
the main way that the Task Force is considering public input and their next
meeting is on November 29. It's really important that we continue to pile on
the surveys with great pro-fix-it-first, pro-transit, and pro-communities
messages.

If we work together, we can set the right priorities for our future.

Best,
Brock

 Transportation for Washington
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/o/5153/images/t4waheader5.jpg>

Jacob --

<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=NqT3eZGy5FUX0oERcVkpG
%2F83m9Qfa%2BH0>

<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=5J3S33Z2%2BuRkYdx1jQ5
RgP83m9Qfa%2BH0>
Tell the Governor's Task Force to set the right transportation priorities!

<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=45ldeoo9mWyrTA9tWlvYz
f83m9Qfa%2BH0> Take the official online survey.
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=A9jTMrp7qupnwKVGc12vO
%2F83m9Qfa%2BH0>

<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=kx5p1u8IyH6NCBXFcjovi
v83m9Qfa%2BH0>

Yesterday was amazing. With more than 90 leaders, we held a statewide
conference on how to transform transportation policy. We talked about our
challenges and solutions, and talked together about how to move forward.

Transportation is in crisis. Too many people stranded at bus stops, gas
prices too high, and too much air and water pollution. Thankfully, the
coalition of social justice, housing, transportation, environment, labor,
and business continues to grow.

Yet we're still struggling to convince Governor Gregoire's Connecting
Washington Task Force that our three principles of fix-it first, more
transit, and build healthy communities are the foundation to transform
transportation.

In fact, during our panel discussion with Connection Washington Task Force
members, the three priorities that were outlined were mobility, safety, and
preservation. It's far from clear these priorities will lead to more
transit.

<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=uIcooPSPETfPzsHZwlFyR
P83m9Qfa%2BH0> The Task Force is soliciting input. Help us make fix-it
first, more transit, and healthy communities the Task Force's priorities.
Please take a moment to fill-out their online survey >>
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=ubQSa5vT7Qn4unhmbN6YA
AQJJwwpICRp>

During his opening remarks, Art Guzetti, the Vice President of the American
Public Transportation Association, said that Washington State had the best
transit advocates in the country.

We are flattered. But why doesn't the Governor's Task Force think transit is
a priority too?

We have three simple principles: (1) prioritize fixing our existing
infrastructure, (2) save and expand transit choices, and (3) build great,
healthy communities.

This isn't 20th Century rocket science. This is about building a
transportation system that is affordable and works for the 21st Century. We
need places where kids can safely walk to the playground. We need streets
that are safe for all users. We need commuting choices that are affordable.

Our principles are that basic. The Governor's Connecting Washington Task
Force is putting together the framework for the next major transportation
package. Unfortunately, it looks like priorities of the Governor's Task
Force won't come close to our principles.

We deserve better, Jacob. Please take the time to fill-out their online
form. Let's work together to fill-out hundreds of these surveys with
pro-fix-it-first, pro-transit, pro-communities messages.

<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=nr69bVSIJCyF3394m9GuT
P83m9Qfa%2BH0> Fill-out the official online survey >>

Thank you in advance for doing this. If you get stuck on saying the exact
right thing, you can check out our new website for ideas. We even have five
new white papers that can help you out.

The Task Force will next meet on November 29th. The decisions get made
between meetings -- not during meetings -- so we have no time to lose.

Together we can transform transportation in Washington State.

Sincerely,

Brock Howell
Field Director
Transportation for Washington

P.S. Join us on Facebook
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=k6lCxI%2B27ldJEAgFqSF
PIcStnAhhgPCq> .

  _____

T4Washington.org
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=LnDaiXxw0kXNyc7oy4%2F
zPP83m9Qfa%2BH0>  | Facebook
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=OOPu14314OhLVokLnP6D8
P83m9Qfa%2BH0>  | Twitter
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=sHHh33qsPMZ504oOHfSLB
%2F83m9Qfa%2BH0>  | Privacy
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=USbHrPnT1UduU%2Fb3qEZ
8yP83m9Qfa%2BH0> Policy | Unsubscribe
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=R%2Fr%2FT10b6PxJEynWa
llmLv83m9Qfa%2BH0>

  _____

Transportation for Washington is a campaign led by Futurewise and
Transportation Choices Coalition and supported by groups and individuals
representing environmental, health, faith, labor, business, and public
office communities.
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=ZM37EaeIIApNk3KXwrYdo
f83m9Qfa%2BH0>

  <http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/TrackImage?key=738658050>