[nfbwatlk] Activists want world to stop using the 'R' word; Campaign deems term offensive and derogatory

Mary Ellen gabias at telus.net
Fri May 27 21:35:10 UTC 2011

We certainly are talking about social justice issues.  Unlike racism, which
has a huge component of hostility, the ignorance we face is almost always
well intentioned.  In some ways, that good will makes it harder for us to
call people out for their discrimination .  It sometimes even makes it
difficult for us to recognize discrimination when we face it.

Racism and ablism come about in part because of lack of or very poor quality
contact between the marginalized group and the society as a whole.  Sexism
is much more complex.  As a friend quipped, "Nobody will ever win the war of
the sexes because there's too much fraternizing with the enemy."