[nfbwatlk] FW: NFB Imagineering Our Future: The Season of Hope

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sat Dec 10 00:41:24 UTC 2011

From: Jernigan Institute [mailto:returnstest at lx-web.nfb.org]
Sent: Friday, December 09, 2011 1:47 PM
Subject: NFB Imagineering Our Future: The Season of Hope

Issue 39

November-December 2011

In this issue:

*	Message from the Executive Director <>
*	What’s New <>
*	Education <>
*	Braille Initiative <>
*	Research <>
*	Advocacy <>
*	Straight Talk About Vision Loss <>
*	Product and Access Technology Talk <>
*	From the tenBroek Library <>
*	Independence Market <>
*	Parent Outreach <>
*	Spotlight on the  <> Imagination Fund
*	NFB Calendar <>
*	Citation <>

Message from the Executive Director

Dear Friends,

It is truly a joyous time of year. In the National Federation of the Blind, we have had a great year and we are thankful for the support of our friends and family. I found myself reflecting on the tremendous progress we have made this year as I stood with my family and enjoyed the annual Baltimore Holiday Parade. The fact that we could be an everyday family fully enjoying the festive event is an example of the progress the Federation has engineered.

It is sometimes hard to believe how far we have come in eliminating the barriers facing blind people as we work to gain full integration into all aspects of our communities. In fact, as I reflect on December 2010, there are a number of ways that things are different just one year later because of the work of the Federation. Our progress is observed in the greater opportunities, greater access, greater awareness, and greater network we have today. As I soaked up the spirit of the season during the parade I could not help thinking about the barriers that might fall in 2012 and what a difference that would make in our lives.

What will it be like when we live in a society that does not permit people with disabilities to be paid less than the federally established minimum wage? What will it be like when instructional materials in our schools are available to people with print disabilities as a matter of standard practice rather than a matter of charity? What will it be like when more people have everyday experience with blind people leading everyday lives in all aspects of our communities? Imagine…

This is the season of hope, faith, and coming together. I encourage you to take a moment to reflect on where we have been and where we are going and to share your observations with those around you. If you are like me, you will feel great pride in the progress we have made together, a great sense of hope for the future, and renewed commitment to our collective work. Although there are still barriers we face, the opportunities are greater than ever before, and I feel thankful for our past and our future.

As you are enjoying the holidays, take a moment to share with others how the National Federation of the Blind has made a difference this year, both in a broad sense and within our personal lives. As the Riccobonos share hope and faith in this joyous season, I am confident we will be sharing thankfulness for the opportunities now available to us because of the seventy-one years of the National Federation of the Blind.

Merry Christmas,

Mark A. Riccobono, Executive Director
NFB Jernigan Institute

Featured NFB News

Make Your Bid for Excellence!

The National Federation of the Blind’s Bid for Excellence national online auction is open for bidding NOW!

The Bid for Excellence auction opened on Tuesday, November 1, and runs through December 12, 2011. Items available include luxury accommodations in Cancun, Mexico; sports memorabilia; jewelry; and plenty of gift items just in time for the holidays. View the items currently available for auction <http://testnfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=732&qid=58404> .

When you place your bid on one of the many items available, 100 percent of your winning bid will support the work of the NFB!  New auction items are added regularly, so check back often to see what’s new.

You can make a difference in the quality of opportunities available to the blind. The most important way you can help is to tell your friends, family, and acquaintances!

Another way to help is by making a donation yourself. You can make a cash donation <http://testnfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=733&qid=58404>  now.

For more information, contact Ann-Marie Laney at (410) 659-9314, extension 2371, or reach Ann-Marie by e-mail <mailto:%20alaney at nfb.org> .

Santa Claus is Coming!

Santa has once again enlisted the help of his elves at the NFB Jernigan Institute to make sure that blind children receive their letters from him in Braille this Christmas season. Parents can go to the NFB’s Letters from Santa page <http://testnfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=734&qid=58404>  to give their child’s information to Santa. Children who do not yet know contracted Braille need not worry, because Santa produces letters in both contracted and uncontracted Braille. This year, in addition to a letter, children can expect a few additional surprises from Santa.

Parents can fill out a Santa Braille Letter Request form <http://testnfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=735&qid=58404>  online or print it out and fax it to (410) 685-2340. Braille letters from Santa are now going out to boys and girls around the country. The Braille letters will be accompanied by a print copy (for moms and dads to read). Requests for letters must include the writer’s name and the child’s name, birthday, gender, and mailing address, and a telephone number or e-mail address, in case Santa’s helpers at the National Federation of the Blind have questions. The deadline for letter requests is December 20, to ensure that a return letter in Braille gets to your child before Christmas.

Education

Computer Science Academy

The Jernigan Institute and the Rochester Institute of Technology <http://testnfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=755&qid=58404>  teamed up this month to hold the 2011 Computer Science Academy. Eighteen students came to the NFB Jernigan Institute from all over the country to learn about computers, possible careers, and college life. Through a variety of unplugged activities, students learned how computers process code, and then they put that knowledge to use coding their own Web site. While the students were busy, their parents were able to learn about assistive technology, discuss college with parents of blind college students, and network with each other.

Nanoscience at the 2011 NFB Youth Slam

Nanoscience was one of the ten disciplines students had the opportunity to study during the NFB Youth Slam <http://testnfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=736&qid=58404>  week. Dr. Vladimir Aksyuk, a scientist at the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), guided the students in the nano track through several exciting investigations.

Through collaboration with members of NISE Net, students in the track had the opportunity to experience objects at the nanoscale through haptic interfaces. These thrilling, hands-on activities got all the students excited about nanoscience, something many of them had no knowledge of before the NFB Youth Slam. When observers visited the nano track during the week, the students were anxious to show them the NanoManipulator and the other haptic simulations.

Learn more about the contributions of NISE Net partners by reading “ <http://testnfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=737&qid=58404>  Helping Blind Students Explore Leading Edge Nanoscience <http://testnfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=737&qid=58404> ” from the NISE network.

Science at the nanoscale is so small that no one can see it. Usually, data collected about objects at the nanoscale is represented in visual images for scientists to study. The scientists and students working in the nano track at the NFB Youth Slam figured out many other ways to represent the raw data so blind students could participate fully in nanoscience. Perhaps one of the students in the track will become a scientist who works at the nanoscale!

Braille Initiative

Braille Readers Are Leaders Contest

November 1, 2011, marked the beginning of the NFBJI Braille Readers Are Leaders contest. The purpose of the program is to promote the joy of reading for pleasure, to promote pride in Braille as a viable literacy medium equal to print, and to demonstrate the importance of independent reading in the development of Braille literacy skills. The contest is free, and participation is rewarding on so many levels. Not only are there various prizes, but all participants get a certificate of participation and a T-shirt just for competing.

The NFB has plenty of Braille reading material resources available, at www.nfb.org <http://testnfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=665&qid=58404>  and at www.ShareBraille.org <http://testnfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=738&qid=58404> , that are also totally free. Check them out and get reading today. The contest runs through January 4, 2012. Whether you love to compete or simply just want extra reading practice, this contest is the perfect way to teach the world that Braille is beautiful!

For more information about the Braille Readers Are Leaders contest, please check out the Web site <http://testnfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=739&qid=58404> , e-mail Braille Readers Are Leaders <mailto:BrailleReadersAreLeaders at nfb.org> , or call (410) 659-9314, extension 2312.

Research

Towson University—Research on Inaccessible Web Sites

Professor Jonathan Lazar of the Department of Computer and Information Sciences at Towson University sends this message:

To help my students understand the problems that blind individuals face with inaccessible Web sites, I’m asking members of the NFB to please send me suggestions for federal Web pages or documents that are inaccessible to screen reader users. Please e-mail <mailto:%20jlazar at towson.edu> , all you need to do is just send me URLs of inaccessible federal content.

Advocacy

A message from Dr. Maurer on the Wages for Workers with Disabilities Act of 2011

Congress is currently considering the Fair Wages for Workers with Disabilities Act of 2011 (H.R. 3086). The bill would phase out section 14(c) of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), which allows employers holding special wage certificates to pay their workers with disabilities less than the federal minimum wage.

Dr. Marc Maurer and the bill sponsors commented on this action:

“The Fair Wages for Workers with Disabilities Act is a long-overdue effort to correct an injustice written into a law meant to protect all American workers from abuse and exploitation. Workers with disabilities were excluded from the protections of the Fair Labor Standards Act because of the false belief that we cannot be as productive as Americans without disabilities. Courage and creativity are required to replace the misguided benevolence that has historically shaped policies toward people with disabilities with real opportunity for our equal employment and full participation in the workplace. We applaud Representatives Stearns and Bishop and we hope that a significant majority of their colleagues possess the courage and creativity to end over seventy years of exploitation of people with disabilities.”

“Simple fairness and decency require that workers with disabilities receive equal pay for equal work,” said Congressman Stearns. “I am asking all of my colleagues to join me in this historic effort to end wage discrimination against workers with disabilities once and for all.”

“Ensuring that Americans with disabilities receive equal pay for equal work is more than a matter of basic fairness, it’s a long-overdue acknowledgement of the value disabled Americans contribute to our workplaces every day,” said Congressman Tim Bishop. “I hope all of my colleagues will support this bipartisan effort to correct over seventy years of injustice.”

Learn more on the NFB’s fair wages for workers with disabilities <http://testnfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=747&qid=58404>  Web page, including the thirty organizations that have joined the support list <http://testnfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=748&qid=58404>  for this issue.  There are currently twenty-one cosponsors of this groundbreaking legislation.

Straight Talk About Vision Loss

This month we invite you to enjoy four films produced in conjunction with the National Federation of the Blind’s first national online auction, “Bid for Excellence.” The auction, hosted on eBay, is raising funds for the many programs of the NFB that are designed to inspire and provide the tools and support needed for the blind to achieve excellence in all areas of life.

The videos are:

*	 <http://testnfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=671&qid=58404> “Bid for Excellence: When I Grow Up... <http://testnfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=671&qid=58404> ,” blind kids tell what they want to be when they grow up;
*	 <http://testnfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=749&qid=58404> “Bid for Excellence: Blind Parents <http://testnfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=749&qid=58404> ,” blind parents discuss what they are grateful for;
*	 <http://testnfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=672&qid=58404> “Bid for Excellence: Blind Veteran Gains Independence, <http://testnfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=672&qid=58404> ” a blind veteran wants others to acquire independence like he did; and
*	 <http://testnfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=673&qid=58404> “Bid for Excellence: Blind Professionals <http://testnfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=673&qid=58404> ,” a young blind woman talks about how the NFB helped her reach her professional goals.

For more information please visit the NFB Bid for Excellence <http://testnfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=740&qid=58404>  page.

Product and Access Technology Talk

National Federation of the Blind Comments on Steve Jobs

Dr. Marc Maurer commented on the death of Steve Jobs, co-founder and former chairman and chief executive officer of Apple, Inc. <http://testnfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=763&qid=58404> :

“Like so many others, we are saddened to hear of the death of Steve Jobs and extend our condolences to his family, friends, and colleagues. Mr. Jobs demonstrated tremendous vision in leadership in many ways, one of which is the incorporation of access for the blind and others with disabilities into the design of Apple’s groundbreaking product line. Virtually no other manufacturer of mainstream consumer technology has done more to build accessibility into its products than Apple has under Mr. Jobs’s leadership. Apple’s monumental access achievements include the ability for blind users, for the first time, to use touch-screen technology, as well as the inclusion of built-in support for Braille-aware devices. The National Federation of the Blind commends and thanks Mr. Jobs for his extraordinary work.”

>From the tenBroek Library

Bust of Jacobus tenBroek

The Hunt for the Bust of Jacobus tenBroek

It was back in 2006, when she was beginning her inventory of the papers of Jacobus tenBroek <http://testnfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=675&qid=58404> , that Lou Ann Blake encountered several photos of speakers at the 1969 NFB National Convention in Columbia, South Carolina. On a stand in front of the podium was a bust of Jacobus tenBroek. The founding president of the NFB had died of cancer little more than a year earlier, at age 56, and it seemed fitting that the organization would honor him in this way. Lou Ann duly noted the old photographs in her inventory and, after having one scanned for inclusion in our database, put the pictures back into their file folder. She was relatively new to the Jernigan Institute but was still a bit surprised at never having seen the sculpture itself. She inquired about it to several people who had been around for longer, but none had any knowledge of the bust or recalled ever seeing it. She also contacted the tenBroek family, with the same response. No one seemed to know that such a bust even existed. With many more file drawers to examine, and lots else to do as well, Lou Ann let the matter sit.

As the tenBroek Library staff grew and more people became familiar with the Federation’s archival collections, interest in this tactile depiction of our first leader was renewed. And here we go, on a bit of a tangent. An amusing story: In the summer of 2008, Lou Ann and Ed Morman (who had recently joined the staff as Library director) prepared a proposal to the National Historic Publications and Records Commission. We applied for a grant that, among other things, would fund a new hire, a trained archivist who would work with us in processing the tenBroek papers. We learned that we won the grant the following spring, and we were lucky to find Anna Kresmer, who started in the new position in September 2009.

Lou Ann and Anna became a dynamite team, and Lou Ann’s enthusiasm for documenting the life and career of Jacobus tenBroek quickly infected Anna. So, when Anna saw a photo of the tenBroek bust, the hunt began again. A few weeks later, Ed got an excited phone call from the archives storage area. “We’ve found the bust! We’ve found the bust!” Lou Ann and Anna waited for Ed to rush to join them, and then began removing the wrapping. Strange, we all thought, tenBroek’s hair was not this curly and he had more of it, and where’s his signature goatee?

Bust of Anwar Sadat

Looking more closely, we detected a resemblance to a world leader who had passed from the scene when assassins’ bullets killed him and eleven others on October 6, 1981. Sure enough, the label on the base of the bust told us that this was indeed Anwar Sadat, the late president of Egypt. A new round of questions naturally ensued. What was the Jernigan Institute doing with a bust of Anwar Sadat? A simple answer: Sadat’s daughter was the official patroness of an organization of the blind in Egypt. She had once planned to attend an NFB National Convention and, even though she was unable to come, she sent the bust of her father as a gift. So the hunt continued, although over time tenBroek Library staff became increasingly convinced that it wouldn’t be found and we, well, we kind of forgot about it. In the next Imagineering newsletter, we’ll provide part two of this mystery story. Stay tuned and maybe you can help us write part three!

Independence Market

The National Federation of the Blind distributes literature about blindness as well as products which enhance the independence of blind individuals through our Independence Market. To learn more about what we have to offer, you may wish to review our 2011-2012 catalog, which is available in print, Braille, DAISY CD, and 2-track cassette. The DAISY version <http://testnfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=756&qid=58404>  as well as a Microsoft Word document <http://testnfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=757&qid=58404>  of our catalog may be downloaded from our Independence Market Web page <http://testnfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=676&qid=58404> .

Here are a few new product listings from our catalog that might turn out to be just the right gift for a loved one.

Talking penguin clock

Talking Penguin Clock <http://testnfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=764&qid=58404> : This adorable black and white penguin clock with yellow beak and feet is 4-1/2 inches tall. It features one alarm with six alarm sounds and an optional hourly announcement as well as a 3/4-inch digital display on its tummy. Push its dark blue top hat to hear the time announcement. Uses 2 AAA batteries (included). AIC33T; $13.00 + shipping and handling.

One-Button Talking Watch with Male/Female Voice <http://testnfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=719&qid=58404> : This simple and elegant talking watch has a white face with black numbers and a two-tone case and expansion band. It announces the time and the complete date, including the day of the week, the date, the month, and the year. Press the exposed button once to hear the time and twice to hear the date. Hold down the exposed button to change the gender of the voice. To set the time and date, press the recessed mode button and the watch talks you through the set-up process; the analog display is then automatically synchronized to the spoken time. AIW61T; $45.00 + shipping and handling.

And here are some kitchen tools which may come in handy just in time for all that holiday cooking and baking.

Grip-and-Flip Three-Piece Kitchen Set <http://testnfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=720&qid=58404> : Includes a double spatula that makes lifting and flipping items easy, a ladle with a built-in strainer and pouring spout, and a locking whisk gripper. Dishwasher safe. AIK22G; $12.00 + shipping and handling.

Measuring Spoons—Set of Five <http://testnfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=721&qid=58404> : Sturdy set of plastic measuring spoons; the spoons can be easily differentiated by color and the handles are wide enough to accommodate Braille labels; contains the following measures: 1/4, 1/2, and 1 teaspoon and 1/2 and 1 tablespoon; dishwasher safe. AIK24M; $4.00 + shipping and handling.

Adjust-A-Measure Kit—Set of Three <http://testnfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=722&qid=58404> : Includes a scoop which adjusts to 1/8, 1/4, 1/3, and 1/2 cup; a tablespoon which adjusts to 1, 1-1/2, 2, and 2-1/2 teaspoons and 1 tablespoon; and a teaspoon which adjusts to 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and 1 teaspoon. AIKXXS; $7.00 + shipping and handling.

Thermometer—Talking, All Purpose (Fahrenheit/Celsius) <http://testnfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=723&qid=58404> : This digital talking thermometer can be used for cooking, candy making, bath water, gardening, and hobbies. It measures temperatures ranging from -58 to 572 degrees Fahrenheit (-50 to 300 degrees Celsius) with a variance of +/- 1.8 degrees Fahrenheit (+/- 1 degree Celsius) over most of its range. The probe is 4.9 inches long and the handle/readout area measures 4.4 x 2 x 1.2 inches. It features an LCD screen, a power/talk button with automatic shut-off after ten minutes, a retention loop for hanging, and a probe cover with hanging clip. Uses two AAA batteries (included). AIK39T; $35.00 + shipping and handling.

And are you still looking for that special gift for someone? The Independence Market still has some Louis Braille Bicentennial Silver Dollars <http://testnfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=758&qid=58404>  available for purchase. This handsome commemorative silver dollar was issued by the United States Mint in 2009 to honor the 200th anniversary of Louis Braille’s birth and to recognize the significance of the invention of the Braille code to the blind around the world. Both proof and uncirculated coins are available. These coins are truly treasured by Braille supporters.

If you wish to request a catalog in any of the available formats or have questions about our product offerings, please contact our Independence Market staff via e-mail <mailto:independencemarket at nfb.org>  or by phone at (410) 659-9314, extension 2216.

Parent Outreach

Idaho Parent Seminar

September 29 to October 1, the NFB of Idaho <http://testnfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=759&qid=58404>  facilitated a seminar for parents called Developing Great Expectations. The seminar offered a wealth of information about raising blind children who will grow up to become successful blind adults. Federationists talked with attendees about how they came to be successful adults. Blind students talked with the parents about their educational experiences. Parents also had the opportunity to hear from experienced educators about the type of instruction they should expect their blind children to receive in school. Several presenters spoke about the importance of Braille instruction including long-time Federation leader Ramona Walhof, who told the group that “Braille will become obsolete only when print becomes obsolete.” Natalie Shaheen, the Jernigan Institute director of education, spoke about the programs and resources the NFB Jernigan Institute has available for parents and students.

The agenda items were not limited to things interesting to adults. There were also various activities for the children who accompanied their parents to the seminar. The young people went rock climbing, swimming, and had drumming lessons. Everyone who attended the seminar enjoyed getting to know the other families in the state who have blind children and learning how they can best support their children’s growth. Nice work NFB of Idaho!

Teacher Leader Seminar

The Teacher Leader Seminar is coming in January! This is a unique opportunity for teachers to collaborate and learn at the NFB Jernigan Institute. There will be breakout sessions, “make and takes,” and participant-led discussions as well as networking and social media gatherings. Find out more on the Teacher Leader Seminar <http://testnfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=750&qid=58404>  Web page.

Spotlight on the Imagination Fund

One of the purposes of the Imagination Fund <http://testnfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=683&qid=58404>  is to support the programs of the affiliates and divisions of the National Federation of the Blind through Imagination Fund grants. The National Federation of the Blind of Maryland (NFBMD) applied for and was awarded a grant for an internship program during the summer of 2011.

Amber Sharard

Two summer interns, Candice Chapman and Amber Sharard, worked on membership building, strengthening the Maryland student division, and the NFBMD BELL Program. According to affiliate president Melissa Riccobono, “Having the interns available this summer allowed the NFBMD to get more things accomplished in a shorter time period than ever before.”

Of the many accomplishments of the Maryland affiliate, Amber Sharard helped put together another successful BELL (Braille Enrichment for Literacy and Learning) program <http://testnfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=684&qid=58404> . This year, thanks to the help of Amber, a workshop for parents was held in conjunction with the program.

Candice Chapman

Candice Chapman worked closely with the Maryland Association of Blind Students on a student seminar. The seminar was held on August 27, and much of the success of the seminar was due to Candice’s work to create an agenda, make sure the student board was on track, and secure speakers. Both interns helped to strengthen the affiliate by performing outreach activities. Candice Chapman followed up with seniors regarding the Possibilities Fair, and gave feedback on things that need updating on the NFBMD Web site.

Amber Sharard helped create and update the Facebook presence for the Maryland affiliate. Both interns reported gaining a lot of experience and confidence as a result of the internships. President Riccobono believes the summer interns really helped with the Maryland affiliate’s programs, “things were able to happen in the NFBMD that would have been very difficult to do if we didn’t have the help of these talented interns.”

To learn more about the NFBMD, visit the Maryland affiliate <http://testnfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=724&qid=58404>  Web page or follow them on Facebook <http://testnfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=686&qid=58404> .

NFB Calendar

The Fall Convention Season The yearly meetings of NFB’s state affiliates cluster in the fall and spring. The following states’ meetings during November rounded out the fall season: Connecticut, Colorado, Michigan, Nevada, Ohio, Virginia, Oregon, Puerto Rico, New Jersey, Texas, and Pennsylvania! To look up when other state annual meetings occur, see the state conventions page <http://testnfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=741&qid=58404>  on the NFB’s Web site.

November 1-December 12, 2011 National Federation of the Blind Bid for Excellence <http://testnfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=740&qid=58404>  national auction. For more information, contact Ann-Marie Laney at (410) 659-9314, extension 2371, or by e-mail <mailto:%20alaney at nfb.org> .

December 15, 2011  Current deadline for federal employees to designate the NFB, code 11162, in the 2011 Combined Federal Campaign <http://testnfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=753&qid=58404>  (listed as Blind Federation of America).

December 20, 2011  Deadline to request Braille Letters from Santa <http://testnfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=734&qid=58404> .

January 4, 2012  End of Braille Readers Are Leaders <http://testnfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=754&qid=58404>  contest.

January 27-29, 2012  NFB Jernigan Institute Teacher Leader Seminar <http://testnfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=750&qid=58404> , National Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute.

February 6-9, 2012  NFB Washington Seminar <http://testnfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=742&qid=58404> , Holiday Inn Capitol, 550 C Street, S.W., Washington, D.C.

Citation

“I am visually impaired, almost totally blind, so I needed to find an archaeology role where I could work on new excavation strategies," says William Nutt of the University of Texas at Arlington. He found one at the Mugello Valley Archaeological Project <http://testnfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=760&qid=58404>  field school run by Southern Methodist University at the site of Poggio Colla, in Italy.

Thought to hold the ruins of a 2,700-year-old pilgrimage site or religious sanctuary for an underworld deity, the site allowed Nutt and his wife, Hannah, also a student, to work out a method of using a trowel with his right hand, while feeling layers of earth with the other.

“It was almost the first thing I found,"   he says of the inscribed pottery <http://testnfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=761&qid=58404> . Inspection reveals what may be one of the oldest depictions of childbirth found in Europe. Although the Etruscans, who preceded the Romans as rulers of much of northern Italy, were famously frank in some of their tomb art, the child birth image represents a novel find.

 — “Blind archaeologist uncovers ancient childbirth inscription <http://testnfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=762&qid=58404> ,” by Dan Vergano, USA Today, October 25, 2011.

Back to Top <>

Thank you for reading the NFB Jernigan Institute’s Imagineering Our Future.

Support the Jernigan Institute through the Imagination Fund <http://testnfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=631&qid=58404>

Interesting links:

Archive of Straight Talk about Vision Loss videos <http://testnfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=632&qid=58404>

National Center for Blind Youth in Science <http://testnfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=633&qid=58404>

Access Technology Tips <http://testnfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=634&qid=58404>

TeachBlind Students.org <http://testnfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=635&qid=58404>

Blogs:

Access Technology <http://testnfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=636&qid=58404>

Voice of the Nation’s Blind <http://testnfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=637&qid=58404>

Publication archives:

Future Reflections <http://testnfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=638&qid=58404>

Braille Monitor <http://testnfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=639&qid=58404>

Visit us at nfb.org <http://testnfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=665&qid=58404>

Jernigan Institute, National Federation of the Blind
200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place
Baltimore, MD 21230
(410) 659-9314    Fax (410) 659-5129
E-mail JerniganInstitute at nfb.org
 <http://testnfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=640&qid=58404>
Visit us at www.nfb.org

 <http://testnfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=765&qid=58404> Description: Image removed by sender. Graphic: Better Business Bureau logo

 <http://testnfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=744&qid=58404> Description: Image removed by sender. Graphic: American Institute of Philanthropy logo

The National Federation of the Blind meets the rigorous Standards for Charity Accountability set forth by the BBB Wise Giving Alliance and is Top-Rated by the American Institute of Philanthropy.

 <http://testnfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=666&qid=58404> Description: Image removed by sender. Graphic: Twitter logo

 <http://testnfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=667&qid=58404> Description: Image removed by sender. Graphic: Facebook logo

 <http://testnfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=668&qid=58404> Description: Image removed by sender. Graphic: YouTube logo