[nfbwatlk] {Disarmed} FW: NFB Imagineering Our Future: A Strong Foundation

Jacob Struiksma lawnmower84 at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 25 16:30:18 UTC 2011

 Graphic Logo: NFB Jernigan Institute
<http://www.marchforindependence.org/images/content/pagebuilder/11065.jpg>
View  <http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=CfLfCHsz3mlpqYMUdulBRQ>
this newsletter as HTML in your browser.
View  <http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=ICCWMTChrCnSjTWxg3GLBQ>
last month's newsletter.

Imagineering Our Future

     Issue 37

August 2011

In this issue:

*	Message from the Executive  <> Director

*	What <> 's New

*	Education <>

*	Braille  <> Initiative

*	Research <>

*	Advocacy <>

*	Straight Talk About Vision  <> Loss

*	Product and Access Technology  <> Talk

*	From the tenBroek Library <>

*	Independence Market <>

*	Parent Outreach <>

*	Spotlight on the  <> Imagination Fund

*	NFB Calendar <>

*	Citation <>

  <http://www.marchforindependence.org/images/content/pagebuilder/11499.gif>

Message from the Executive Director

Dear Friends,

Two days ago we were engaged in the normal course of activities here at the
NFB Jernigan Institute. I was in my office on the fourth floor near the
northwest corner of our building. Suddenly the building began to shake and
it did not stop for a good half a minute-an earthquake. We were able to
quickly account for all of our staff, even those on assignment in Virginia
closer to the epicenter, and our building showed no signs of being damaged.
Once those two things were out of the way, I started thinking about
unexpected situations and how we deal with them.

One of the things the National Federation of the Blind teaches blind
individuals is how to deal with a variety of unexpected situations with
confidence. Throughout our training programs we teach how to face fear and
deal with uncertainty. Part of the process for learning to handle
uncertainty is to develop a strong set of skills. Another aspect is to get
opportunities to tackle challenging tasks that provide perspective and
confidence. In the process, we attempt to fuel the natural curiosity for
knowledge and new experiences that lives within all of us. Our methods have
proven useful for thousands of blind people, empowering them to venture into
new, sometimes unimagined, opportunities.

On Tuesday, it struck me that the earthquake provided some symbols of the
experience of the NFB. We are firm in our resolve and we tackle problems
with confidence. Yet, there are sometimes those who attempt to shake our
determination. Whether the subject is eliminating subminimum wages or
raising expectations for the education of blind children, there are often
disruptions in our progress meant to change our direction. Our organization
is built on a strong foundation, and our team is prepared for uncertainty.
The members of the Federation are not afraid to tackle big issues, even if
they seem so much bigger than we can handle, because we know the power that
comes from our individual efforts, collectively focused.

I was pleased that our Jernigan Institute building in Baltimore showed the
same strong foundation that our organization has across the country. I was
even more pleased that no one was hurt in the earthquake and that everyone
responded with the resolve and teamwork that is characteristic of our
organization. While there is much work to do, we have the confidence to know
that we can handle the uncertainty that lies ahead.

Here is hoping that each of you have a safe and relaxing end of the summer.

 Graphic: Signature of Mark Riccobono
<http://www.marchforindependence.org/images/content/pagebuilder/11057.jpg>
Mark A. Riccobono, Executive Director, NFB Jernigan Institute

  <http://www.marchforindependence.org/images/content/pagebuilder/11499.gif>

Featured NFB News

 Photo: Alaska protest participant
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/images/content/pagebuilder/Alaska_protes
t_Web__Small.jpg>

Equal Pay for Equal Work Update

The National Federation of the Blind successfully conducted over twenty
informational protests across the United States to raise awareness about
disabled people being paid less than the federal minimum wage. Whenever we
tell members of the public about this practice, they are astonished that
such a thing could happen in the 21st century. The demonstrations were held
on July 26, the twenty-first anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities
Act, at the primary district office locations of United States senators
serving on the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions
(the HELP Committee). The HELP Committee is currently considering
legislation-the Workforce Investment Act-which would reauthorize the payment
of subminimum wages to disabled workers. Thanks to educational efforts from
NFB and other like-minded disability groups, the vote to reaffirm this
shocking policy has been postponed indefinitely.

For more information on this critically important matter, please read the
Fair  <http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=YxmwV3zHETVP5tH05paGQQ>
Wages for Workers with Disabilities Web page, the resolution
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=wp1nEHFEnio2h-YxGUWOPA>  passed
at the NFB national convention, or the speech "No
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=w-d0VTlK_1gWZFl0vYJa6A> More
Subminimum Wages: The Time is Now!" which was delivered by Dr. Frederic K.
Schroeder on July 8, 2011.

National Convention

If you missed the 2011 NFB National Convention or would like to re-live all
of the excitement, access audio of highlights
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=uaXt5HzgPr9tLP-mmAECGg> from
the convention.

The National Federation of the Blind would like to extend a warm thank you
to our 2011 National Convention sponsors, especially our title sponsor, eBay
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=4mOxuJiYxkPxJqsIcKXBRA> , and
platinum sponsors, UPS
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=B-weinIBDK2BsHkKIpNNFw>  and
HumanWare
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=iRsnazZNEvqcCoVqqdnV8Q> . We
appreciate your support of the movement and are grateful for the work you
do.

 Graphic: eBay logo
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/images/content/pagebuilder/ebay_cmyk.gif

 Graphic: HumanWare logo
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/images/content/pagebuilder/12073.gif>
Graphic: UPS logo
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/images/content/pagebuilder/12072.gif>

  <http://www.marchforindependence.org/images/content/pagebuilder/11499.gif>

Education

 Photo: Youth Slam 2011 student
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/images/content/pagebuilder/YS2011_studen
t_Web_small.jpg>

2011 NFB Youth Slam

During the week of July 18, 2011, 133 blind students invaded Towson
University's campus for the third-ever NFB
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=8ln9hRzbTgfvf2PW9MAXNw> Youth
Slam. The students were grouped three to a pod, paired with a blind mentor,
and assigned to one of ten tracks. Then they spent their week learning about
science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM). The space and the
engineering tracks teamed up to build a six-foot-tall geodesic dome, the
computer science track programmed iPods, and the robotics track built robots
that could play dodge ball. Students also had the opportunity to climb a
rock wall, sing karaoke, or play goal ball in the evenings. The students
took turns riding in the Blind Driver ChallengeR vehicle with Mark Riccobono
or Anil Lewis at the wheel. Earlier in the day there was a driving
demonstration for ABC News. Virginia Tech grad students posted a lot of
photos in the Blind
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=Dfk80fqjvh6SIZAMBqM1Eg> Driver
ChallengeR at Youth Slam Facebook album. To learn more about NFB's STEM
initiatives for blind youth, follow NFBScience
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=lpKgrBAirfI5LDlSa609uA>  on
Twitter. SLAM THAT!

Youth Track

This summer we facilitated several activities for blind and sighted youth,
ages 11 to 18, as a part of the NFB Youth
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=xTRk1LrEdeSpM-kaeD5N1w> Track
at our national convention. The goal of this series of activities was to
foster a positive philosophy about blindness among the youth. On Sunday,
July 3, students engaged in several activities modeled after popular board
games that engaged the students in discussions about blindness. Evening
social events included "The Amazing Race"  (a fast-paced game at a local
mall) and "Minute to Swim It"  (a pool party with a lot of silly games). The
youth also spent time in sessions where they learned about the Federation
and our work. These sessions covered topics such as the organizational
structure of the NFB, subminimum wage legislation, what convention
resolutions are and why they are important, and a description of the Blind
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=wUwasDzwSP2CeHzjGfjXTw> Driver
ChallengeR.

Computer Science Academy 2011

Do you know a blind teen who is interested in computer science? The Computer
Science Academy 2011 is a perfect opportunity for blind youth to learn more
about computer science. This two-day program, to be held October 7-8 at the
NFB Jernigan Institute, will serve twenty-five blind students in grades
seven to eleven and their parents. Applications are due by the end of
August. Download
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=1yr1bPwU45FtqfVdlQ8FVg> an
application and learn
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=zTZvhz99QWKCxQNDgpDcng> more
about the program at the ImagineIT
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=V9A9_XiFTurhYLH9E9mzBQ> page or
contact Natalie Shaheen <mailto:nshaheen at nfb.org>  for more information.

<http://www.marchforindependence.org/site/../images/content/pagebuilder/1149
9.gif>

Braille Initiative

NFB BELL Program

Have you heard the BELLs ringing this summer? Over the last three months,
eleven NFB BELL programs have been facilitated in seven states. Blind
students across the country spent two weeks getting introduced to Braille or
building upon their existing Braille skills. Students spent a great deal of
time learning through play and other unconventional activities; as a result
they left the program excited about Braille and how being Braille literate
can positively impact their lives. The program in Savannah was featured on a
local news broadcast-check out this video
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=lmB0AoXBQvGPK27Z5QrN4g> from
WJCL ABC-TV. For more information about the NFB BELL program visit the BELL
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=lnPRNlDCjhjHMXbu3_t16w> Web
page or contact Natalie  <mailto:nshaheen at nfb.org> Shaheen.

<http://www.marchforindependence.org/site/../images/content/pagebuilder/1149
9.gif>

Research

NFB 2011 Convention Title Sponsor eBay
 Graphic: eBay logo
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/images/content/pagebuilder/ebay_cmyk.gif

eBay Survey

The National Federation of the Blind is interested in online accessibility
and improved access to commerce. In that spirit, we are working in
partnership with eBay
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=kLVh4YbIcFuR214Ug7xg8w>  to
continuously improve eBay's Web site accessibility and create new business
opportunities for blind individuals.

Please take a few minutes to provide feedback about your experiences and
needs in the realm of Internet shopping (e-commerce). By taking this survey,
you are helping eBay continue to improve the accessibility of its site. The
link below leads to an online survey that asks questions about your Internet
shopping habits. Please make your voice heard.

Your opinions are extremely valuable, and your responses are completely
confidential and will be analyzed only in combination with those of other
participants. Let eBay know how you feel about online accessibility! Give
your responses on the survey
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=tYUQgmWFx57xA_hkphSNpA> page.
Thank you for contributing to consumer-driven improvements on the Internet.

<http://www.marchforindependence.org/site/../images/content/pagebuilder/1149
9.gif>

Advocacy

Deanna Jones. Photo credit: The Associated Press
 Photo: Deanna Jones
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/images/content/pagebuilder/deanna_jones_
Web_small.jpg>

Blind Law Student Wins Case

On July 5, Deanna Jones, a blind student at Vermont Law School, filed a
complaint in federal court against the National Conference of Bar Examiners
(NCBE) and ACT, Inc., for violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Ms. Jones was registered to take the Multistate Professional Responsibility
Examination (MPRE), which is part of the requirements for obtaining a law
license in Vermont. The complaint was filed because the NCBE and ACT, Inc.,
refused to make the MPRE accessible to Ms. Jones, who is blind and has a
learning disability. On August 2, a judge ruled that Ms. Jones be allowed to
take the MPRE on a laptop equipped with screen access software. For more
information on this important victory for Ms. Jones and for all blind
people, please read the Associated Press article "Legally
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=SG7jS0PMIvnL8vkGzIkefA> Blind
Vermont Law Student Wins 1st Big Case."

<http://www.marchforindependence.org/site/../images/content/pagebuilder/1149
9.gif>

Straight Talk About Vision Loss

Campers use their sense of smell to detect whether a chemical reaction has
taken place. Photo credit: Amy Standen for NPR
 Photo: California science campers
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/images/content/pagebuilder/CA_science_ca
mpers.jpg>

Hoby Wedler is working on his Ph.D. in chemistry at the University of
California, Davis. Hoby had been one of the first students in our 2004
Science Academy and he was an instructor at NFB Youth Slam 2011. In April of
this year, Hoby coordinated a chemistry camp for blind students in
California. Hoby said, "At the camp, ten motivated blind high school
students learned exciting ways to do chemistry accessibly from practicing
U.C. Davis chemists. Equally important to the actual science, the students
learned that their blindness should not hold them back from pursuing careers
in any field they care to study. These students loved science and realized
that blindness can be a tremendous advantage to chemistry because, as I like
to tell people, 'Nobody can see atoms.' Several students came terrified to
hold a pipette or test tube and left wanting to pursue careers in science!"

NPR Weekend Edition aired a report about the California camp on July 31,
2011, and we invite you to listen to "
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=a6czCJ5FNmxBJ9xo5ziACA> Blind
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=9VBcjo2JIlRfuLPBy3U3Lg> Teens
Tap Into Senses At Chemistry Camp."

  <http://www.marchforindependence.org/images/content/pagebuilder/11499.gif>

Product and Access Technology Talk

On June 26, the NFB Jernigan Institute's access technology team demonstrated
devices as exhibitors at the Deaf-Blind
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=scT8x65Iui9kUInCFk3iPg> Camp's
Technology Expo in West River, Maryland.

July was national convention month, and it was a busy one. The technology
seminar in Orlando covered some really exciting topics:

*	Accessibility for Androids-a session on finding the accessibility
and the barriers in Android-driven devices with Caroline Ragot, Marketing
Director at Code
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=VqrrL3vSommshyTwbWBnUQ> Factory

*	eBook Accessibility-topics covered included Blio, Kindle for PC,
Adobe Digital Editions and other platforms that are accessible. The panel
consisted of representatives from major content providers and platforms:

*	James Gashel, Vice President of Business Development, K-NFB
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=Y-MRy-qK225bmySeEiGmRw> Reading
Technology, Inc.

*	Tom Hadfield, Chief Technology Officer, Coursesmart
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=IA0NJBacsRmlI4Fd9PewWg>

*	Rick Johnson, Chief Technology Officer, Ingram
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=uTX6TaZ3mQdTrK0UveLnrQ> Content
Group

*	Matt May, Accessibility Evangelist, Adobe
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=XJqf2kcHcK6vCly86lHTHw>

*	There's an Accessible App for That, You Know!-a session on making
the most of the apps on your phone, including how to use them for
productivity, home automation, etc.

*	How to Build an Accessible Web Site-an introductory session that
outlined simple ways to make your Web site accessible and easy to navigate

The sessions received enthusiastic response and were very well attended.
Also at the national convention, Pearson
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=Xvf1rpsaUH2p8kPnwBmcWg>
Publishing hosted an event inviting blind students to provide extensive
feedback on their educational (and specifically math) content. We are
delighted to report that there was a great deal of interest, and we expect
that this ongoing cooperation with the publishing giant will result in
better access to educational resources.

In November, there is the Accessing
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=7nX2BAOB4MDfokXEGSJ6lQ> Higher
Ground conference in Colorado, where the team will be presenting two
sessions, one on Tactile Graphics, and one called Beyond
Checklists-Promoting Nonvisual Accessibility through Task-based, Firsthand
Testing. Accessing Higher Ground, because of its focus on education, is
always a great place to network and to hear what the most pressing issues
are for accessibility professionals and educators in higher education.

In keeping with the focus on STEM (science, technology, engineering, and
math), the Access Technology Blog has a post from guest blogger John
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=MgJcOLySQcD6A3dwqi1blw>
Gardner, best known as the founder of tactile graphics company ViewPlus, on
Access2Science, a collaborative educational source of STEM materials. The
site serves blind students, teachers, parents, and anyone else with an
interest in the topic. Other posts give some first impressions on the new
Mac  <http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=GI3y1tvy9KrzCa6PbjHN6w> OS
X Lion and deal with Adobe's Digital
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=EDTkwyllThsxGyjdi3-37A>
Editions e-reader.

Web Accessibility Training Day

The NFB Jernigan Institute and the Maryland Department of Disabilities
Technology Assistance Program are pleased to present the second annual Web
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=_fDSCAqnSEBqvfjv7kgYwA>
Accessibility Training Day. On Monday, September 19, we will offer a
day-long, in-depth look at how accessible Web content that complies with
federal and state regulations is created. There will be a variety of general
topic sessions, with afternoon breakout sessions on policy and technical
topics. The registration deadline is August 31 and seating is limited, so
make sure to book your seat for this exciting event. We will cover, among
other things:

*	How to make the case for accessibility

*	How to make your site accessible

*	How to evaluate accessibility

*	How to keep up with changing regulations

We will have speakers from the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), eBay,
Blackboard, the U.S. Access Board, Adobe, and many other organizations. For
an up-to-the-minute agenda and to register, please visit
www.nfb.org/webaccessibility
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=5Otv27uy7s2SSTgHbqlVPg>  or
contact Clara Van Gerven <mailto:cvangerven at nfb.org>  at (410) 659-9314,
extension 2410.

 Graphic: Maryland TAP logo
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/images/content/pagebuilder/11697.jpg>
Graphic: MD Department of Information Technology logo
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/images/content/pagebuilder/doit.bmp>

  <http://www.marchforindependence.org/images/content/pagebuilder/11499.gif>

>From the tenBroek Library

Onward with Oral History!

On August 10 we were honored by a visit from Frank Kurt Cylke, who recently
retired as director of the National Library Service for the Blind and
Physically Handicapped. Mr. Cylke was kind enough to drive up to the NFB
Jernigan Institute from his home in Virginia for an oral history interview.

Our conversation with him set two precedents. First, we were able to conduct
the interview in the NFB recording studio, the same place where Marc Maurer
records his presidential releases. Will Schwatka, our sound engineer, made
the facility available and provided first-rate technical support. The result
was excellent, and we look forward to Will's cooperation in recording future
interviews.

This interview was also the first we've done with a sighted person who has
worked closely with the Federation in its efforts to change what it means to
be blind. Our future oral history interviews will continue to include such
people, as well as blind people with stories to tell.

 Photo: Kenneth Jernigan and Frank Kurt Cylke
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/images/content/pagebuilder/KJ_and__FKC_W
eb_small.jpg>

Frank Kurt Cylke's first encounter with the NFB occurred in 1971, when-with
three years' experience at the Library of Congress-he was appointed to head
the NLS. One of his earliest tasks was to restore relations with Kenneth
Jernigan, relations that had been damaged by insensitivity on the part of
Mr. Cylke's predecessor. Impressed by Dr. Jernigan's forcefulness and
charisma, Mr. Cylke quickly understood that regular contact with the NFB
would be important if he were to succeed in meeting the NLS mission.

Our interview covered everything from his family background, to his hobbies,
to his successes in guiding the NLS through forty years of great changes in
the technologies of libraries for the blind. We hope to make portions of
this interview available on the NFB Web site before too long. Meanwhile we
urge you to take a look at one of the best examples of cooperation between
the NLS and the organized blind, the collection of essays published in 2000
under the title Braille
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=81x76k_vqoAXo6hyMjKVcA> into
the Next Millennium, which is available in Web-Braille and talking book
formats to eligible NLS readers.

And please remember, the Jernigan Institute is always interested in
receiving recordings and transcripts of oral history interviews. Think of
who in your chapter or affiliate might have memories that ought to be
recorded, get hold of a recording device, and proceed. For help in preparing
for the interview, tenBroek Library staff members have developed a guide
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=GV8vpgzHOwtES6rEs-L0Dg> to oral
history interviewing. And if you have someone in mind but are unable to
conduct the interview yourself, we also invite Imagineering Our Future
readers to bring these potential oral history subjects to our attention. We
will do what we can to arrange an interview with a Jernigan Institute staff
member or another Federationist.

<http://www.marchforindependence.org/site/../images/content/pagebuilder/1149
9.gif>

Independence Market

Newly designed white cane
 Photo: Seven-section folding cane
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/images/content/pagebuilder/7-section_can
e.png>

The NFB Independence Market was open for business during the national
convention this past July, and many convention attendees took the
opportunity to examine the products we have to offer.

One of the popular items this year was our new seven-section,
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=7CcRI13X-6L3YedGkrQT4A> carbon
fiber, folding white cane. This well-balanced, lightweight cane designed for
us by Chris Park features an easy grip handle as well as the NFB metal glide
tip. At this time the cane is available in sizes ranging from 55 to 61
inches in two-inch increments, and it costs $40.00 plus shipping and
handling.

The NFB was instrumental in pioneering the use of longer white canes as well
as the use of canes by very young blind children. Recently we have been
working with Chris Park to improve the design of our long white canes. As a
result, we are phasing in new straight fiberglass, straight carbon fiber,
and telescoping carbon fiber canes. We are looking forward to an ongoing
collaboration with Mr. Park, so that we can continue on the improvement of
the design of our white canes.

For more information or to place an order for white canes or other products,
please contact the NFB  <mailto:IndependenceMarket at nfb.org> Independence
Market via e-mail or by phone at (410) 659-9314, extension 2216,
Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. eastern time.

  <http://www.marchforindependence.org/images/content/pagebuilder/11499.gif>

Parent Outreach

Laura Weber and Lindsay Adair. Photo credit: Jimmy Loyd for the Houston
Chronicle
 Photo: Laura Weber and Lindsay Adair
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/images/content/pagebuilder/Lindsay_Adair
.jpg>

An article was published August 10 in the Houston Chronicle featuring
National Organization of Parents of Blind Children (NOPBC) President Laura
Weber and her daughter Lindsay Adair. Read "Her
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=K5NZAeVU11N6yDMST9VDrw> Vision
is for Blind Daughter to Enjoy a Normal Life" and learn how Laura started
out a NASA bioengineer and became the NOPBC president and about her daughter
Lindsay's interests and plans for the future.

  <http://www.marchforindependence.org/images/content/pagebuilder/11499.gif>

Spotlight on the Imagination Fund

The  <http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=2gScHmbTOalB5ElZ5aHftQ>
Imagination Fund builds programs of the National Federation of the Blind at
the national, state, and local levels. The success of the Imagination Fund
and the programs it makes possible is due to the efforts of blind and
sighted men and women in communities across the nation. These supporters of
the Imagination Fund are called "Imaginators," and they make an annual
commitment to spread the word about the NFB Jernigan Institute and help to
raise funds for our programs and initiatives.

Denise Avant holding her Imaginator of the Year Award
 Photo: Denise Avant holding Imaginator of the Year award
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/images/content/pagebuilder/Denise_Avant_
holding_award_Web_small.jpg>

The Imaginator of the Year Award was created to recognize the exceptional
efforts of our most dedicated and successful Imaginators. This year on July
5, 2011, Denise Avant was presented the National Federation of the Blind
Imaginator of the Year Award for her outstanding work in raising funds for
the 2010-2011 Race for Independence.

Denise speaks passionately about her involvement, "The Imagination Fund is
so very important.  It helps fund programs like Braille
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=b03eMeCt_9GfW5Rp8wkbnw>
Enrichment for Literacy and Learning, the BELL program. Raising funds for
programs like the BELL program benefits so many people."

Denise raised over $2,000 from eighty different people. When asked how she
was able to reach so many donors she said, "I explained to people that I am
a member of the NFB and about how we foster a sense of independence for the
blind, and how important our work is, and people would want to give and know
more about the NFB."

In becoming an Imaginator, Denise used her time and talent to make a
difference and help change what it means to be blind. You can, too-become
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=REzloFNiYINJrpubjnvtxA> an
Imaginator and get involved in the Race for Independence.

  <http://www.marchforindependence.org/images/content/pagebuilder/11499.gif>

NFB Calendar

July 6, 2011   The 100th anniversary of the birth of Dr. Jacobus tenBroek.
The July
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=433KAfqnIqRWCFXqq9RLJA> 2011
Braille Monitor issue is devoted to writings about the life and work of Dr.
tenBroek, including never-before-published personal correspondence.

The Fall Convention Season   The yearly meetings of NFB's state affiliates
cluster in the fall and spring.  The following states meet in August and
September: West Virginia, South Carolina, Arizona, North Carolina, Montana,
New York, and Kentucky. To look up when other state annual meetings occur,
see the state
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=FNb_0-c5TJcj0cmuAK-Rrg>
conventions page on the NFB's Web site.

September 19, 2011   Web
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=j6EozulYQa2-qH_jmlIXYw>
Accessibility Training Day, presented by the NFB and the Maryland Department
of Disabilities Technology Assistance Program at the NFB Jernigan Institute.

October 2011   Meet
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=8tD0T9kd9xoKlktHr-O5HA> the
Blind Month, a campaign conducted by NFB chapters throughout the country
every October.  We challenge you to participate in innovative and unique
meet-and-greet events in your local community this year.  For information,
contact Melissa  <mailto:mkobelinski at nfb.org> Kobelinski.

October 7-8, 2011  Computer
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=K4oFCKha7bULDdavqlCyjg> Science
Academy, presented by the NFB and the Rochester Institute of Technology at
the NFB Jernigan Institute.

  <http://www.marchforindependence.org/images/content/pagebuilder/11499.gif>

Citation

The remarkable story of a blind man and the guide dog that led him and
dozens of others to safety just moments before the World Trade Center
crumbled nearly 10 years ago has become an instant best-seller.  Thunder
Dog: The True Story of a Blind Man, His Guide Dog & the Triumph of Trust at
Ground Zero made its debut on the vaunted New York Times bestseller list
this week in its first week of release.

  -" <http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=O-DCDUAiGfrMXdICsNO8Qw>
Blind 9/11 Survivor's
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=X-vGfqbNG-bP3396g3SKMA> Story
an Instant New York Times Bestseller," PR Newswire, August 22, 2011

Back to  <> Top

Thank you for reading the NFB Jernigan Institute's Imagineering Our Future.

 Mentor Trevor Attenberg leads campers along the nature trail
<http://www.marchforindependence.org/images/content/pagebuilder/11505.jpg>

 Photo: Group on white water raft
<http://www.marchforindependence.org/images/content/pagebuilder/11455.jpg>

Support the Jernigan Institute through the Imagination
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=ihIhlwL-RmfeqPVeNScmxQ> Fund

 Photo: Young woman playing flute
<http://www.marchforindependence.org/images/content/pagebuilder/11433.gif>

Interesting links:

Archive
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=oeoSMZV0fCOZfbUoeTPgRQ> of
Straight Talk about Vision Loss videos

National
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=besaOk6qEYC6HrTFq5AY3w> Center
for Blind Youth in Science

Access  <http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=NlxLkPVLj0ko4IqD2y9Xwg>
Technology Tips

TeachBlind
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=xxJrjsc1l-FkTgStzRhT8g>
Students.org

 Photo: Youth practicing martial art
<http://www.marchforindependence.org/images/content/pagebuilder/11435.gif>

Blogs:

Access  <http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=hPslxGDoD3yJYop8zER6mQ>
Technology

Voice  <http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=T8Ogxn73inBQLhcQvIsL3A>
of the Nation's Blind

 Photo: Senior couple
<http://www.marchforindependence.org/images/content/pagebuilder/11083.gif>

Publication archives:

Future  <http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=yTU3jikG_JxGyaZ4TmPwmg>
Reflections

Braille
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=l88scP_KybG_r9CrtzC2mA> Monitor

 Photo: Mom and son take a moment and a hug
<http://www.marchforindependence.org/images/content/pagebuilder/10767.jpg>

 Graphic: National Federation of the Blind logo
<http://www.marchforindependence.org/images/content/pagebuilder/11075.gif>

 Photo: Blind little girl with cane
<http://www.marchforindependence.org/images/content/pagebuilder/11079.gif>

 Photo: Blind youth reading Braille book
<http://www.marchforindependence.org/images/content/pagebuilder/10623.jpg>

 Photo: Blind girl examining model of constellations
<http://www.marchforindependence.org/images/content/pagebuilder/11081.gif>

 Photo: Blind boy with tactile globe
<http://www.marchforindependence.org/images/content/pagebuilder/10621.jpg>

 Blind Teens Carry the 2007 Youth March for Independence Banner
<http://www.marchforindependence.org/images/content/pagebuilder/11187.jpg>

Visit us at nfb.org
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=aGWXKSguZ6fMwrGmChv3jA>

 Imagine a Future Full of Opportunity
<http://www.marchforindependence.org/images/content/pagebuilder/10899.jpg>

  <http://www.marchforindependence.org/images/content/pagebuilder/11499.gif>

Jernigan Institute, National Federation of the Blind
200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place, Baltimore, MD 21230
(410) 659-9314      Fax (410) 659-5129      E-mail JerniganInstitute at nfb.org
<mailto:JerniganInstitute at nfb.org?subject=Reply%20to%20Imagineering%20Our%20
Future>
Visit  <http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=w_B-CAtGC7EeEkKY4Ri1vg>
us at www.nfb.org

 	  Better Business Bureau logo
<http://www.marchforindependence.org/images/content/pagebuilder/11466.gif>
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=rWouCBvcRHhPx4C5mqpEzw>
American Institute of Philanthropy logo
The National Federation of the Blind meets the rigorous Standards for
Charity Accountability set forth by the BBB Wise Giving Alliance and is
Top-Rated by the American Institute of Philanthropy.

<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=t9nlhx2oxiwNkJZr4x6RFA> this
newsletter.
If this issue was forwarded to you and you'd like to subscribe, please
e-mail JerniganInstitute at nfb.org
<mailto:JerniganInstitute at nfb.org?subject=Reply%20to%20Imagineering%20Our%20
Future> .

<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/PixelServer?j=F9YhXSYpc0wW6ZPO46p3Y

Unsubscribe
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/CO?i=sbLUSAHObqPUBY3VMgDdX-VUrzMEji
ez&cid=1061> from receiving email, or change your email preferences.

 <http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=X05UcrqD2IUTyxfXe7KpOg>