[nfbwatlk] Coming to Convention from Olympia

Freeman,Mike - TOSD-DITT-2 jmfreeman at bpa.gov
Thu Oct 21 21:24:28 UTC 2010

Hello, Andrea.  Welcome to our list.

First, you are, indeed, doing things correctly.  When you see a message to which you wish to reply, just hit REPLY and your comments will be posted to the list.  To send a message from scratch to the list, just send it to

nfbwatlk at nfbnet.org

And it will be posted for the world to see. (smile)

Second, we will not have exhibits per se at our convention this year although the Washington Access Technology program will be one of the convention presentation items Saturday morning.  We do have exhibits at some of our conventions but not this year.  Nevertheless, I strongly urge you to come as we will be discussing many issues of importance to blind Washingtonians and the blind of the nation.

Third, as Mike Mello says, your best bet is probably to take the AMTRAK Cascades from Olympia to Vancouver.  The AMTRAK trains leave from the Olympia-Lacey AMTRAK station which is a little way outside town and most Olympians consider it out in the boonies but, frankly, it's not much further from Olympia than Cascade Park is from the Columbia River here in Vancouver.  In any event, You would take a taxi from the AMTRAK station in Vancouver to the Hilton Hotel; it's not too far.  Some of yesterday's posts discuss this; Radio Cab's number is (360)693-1234 and County Cab also exists. insofar as I am aware, there aren't organized van pools or chartered buses from the Puget Sound area down to the convention.

Finally, if you *do* wish to attend the convention, please notify me *immediately* by writing to my home email address,

k7uij at panix.com

To let me know so I can try to get a room for you or find a willing room partner for you.

I do not normally post from this address but I thought your inquiry of sufficient importance to garner an immediate response.  I normally communicate via my Panix email address.

Hope to see you at the convention.

Warmly,

Michael Freeman, President
National Federation of the Blind of Washington