[nfbwatlk] Fw: For InkSpeak Reunion Issue: "Stranger in a FamiliarLand?"

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Tue May 25 04:21:52 UTC 2010

Well, I've done simulations very similar to what you're discribing.

My favorite simulation that I do at blindness seminars is the Helping
Interaction. In this exercise, several participants (about five or six
for a class of 25-30) are taken out of the room and are taught the
rules of the game. They are instructed to be as helpful as possible to
a targeted individual of their choosing. I generally recommend that
their target be of the same gender because some of this helpfulness
will require physical assistance such as sitting their target down,
moving their target, etc. These volunteers are told that they have
three options should their target show any resistance: they can pretend
to be offended, continue to force their helpfulness anyway thereby
ignoring their target, or they can end their friendship with their
target for the duration of the exercise. Meanwhile, non-targeted
participants observe the goings on while the poor targets cope with
this unnatural assistance.

The results generally come as follows. The targets tend to feel
overpowered and frustrated with their helper's lack of consideration;
they also can't figure out why they are getting so much help even
though they are clearly competent enough not to need it. For those
targets who resist help, they often show surprise for their helper's
reaction to their resistance, particularly if the friendship ends based
on the helper's manufactured perception that the target is ungrateful
and not worth knowing. Helpers also tend to feel annoyed with their own
helpfulness because it's exhausting and because they also realize how
unnecessary it is. Naturally, a helper wouldn't recognize this lack of
necessity if their target was really blind, but this is a first step
and gets them thinking. Observers of the experience tend to feel
uncomfortable. There is a lot of laughter because everyone is so
uncomfortable with how invasive all this is.

This exercise really works in conjunction with a healthy discussion
about blindness stereotypes. I usually start my seminars with an
implicit attitude activitiy where participants come face to face with
their own ideas and fears about blindness. Sometimes, I ask them to
perform skits depicting their version of a typical blind person in a
given scenario. Sometimes, I have all participants write their fears on
a slip of paper (If I were blind...); I collect these fears and
redistribute them so no one has their own and so the fears could be
read aloud. In either case, I have the class brainstorm a list of
common conceptions about blindness based on their depictions and fears.
We then work on dispelling these myths together.. I usually offer
information in the form of questions that cause individual participants
to rethink their hypotheses about blindness. Sometimes, I have to give
direct information. In any case, these seminars are very effective.
I've been doing them for about three years now.

Respectfully,
Jedi