[nfbwatlk] FW: NFB 2010 Scholarship Program for blind college students

Tue Mar 2 15:02:44 UTC 2010

Mike Freeman and I are both on the 2010 NFB national scholarship
committee. WE are very anxious for blind college students in Washington
State to apply for the NFB scholarships that are presented at the NFB
national convention in July.  I decided to put this letter to agency
folks on the list, and to send it to people I know in the rehab
community to urge that anyone who can get the word out, please do so.
There's no reason why Washingtonians who are contemplating school
shouldn't apply.  Look at Lilly Clifton last year.  She's a freshman
this year, and won the second highest amount awarded at the NFB
convention.  There will be a lot of competition from other states, but
even if a person doesn't get one of the 30 scholarships available, at
least you can  talk with a NFB leader on the way to completing your
application.  While doing that, you can find out more about us.

Good luck, and remember to apply soon.

For questions in Washington State, you can contact either Mike Freeman,
K7uij at panix.com, or me Bennett.Prows at hhs.gov, or any of the other NFB
leaders in Washington State.

/s/

Bennett Prows

NFB 2010 Scholarship Program for blind college students

Deadline: March 31, 2010

Dear Educators, Librarians, and Counselors:

I've attached a flyer about the National Federation of the Blind
national scholarship program.  This program is solely for legally blind
students in the United States or Puerto Rico who will be attending
college or university in fall 2010.  We have 30 scholarships in our
program. Students apply to the scholarship program (not for a particular
scholarship). The NFB Scholarship Committee chooses the 30 winners from
all who apply and later decides which scholarship each of the thirty
winners will receive.

$12,000 -   1 award

$10,000 -   1 award

$  5,000 -   4 awards

$  3,000- 22 awards

Plus other gifts to our 30 scholarship winners.

Complete details are available on our Website at
www.nfb.org/scholarships.

Please share this information with other departments and agencies in
your state that have contact with blind college students. Please give it
to any high school senior intent on entering college in fall 2010 or any
blind college student from college freshman up through working on a PhD,
and any counselor, teacher, or parent working with a blind scholar.

Cordially,

Mr. Anil Lewis, Chairperson

NFB Scholarship Committee

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

      at Jernigan Place

Office:  (410) 659-9314, x2415;

Email:  scholarships at nfb.org;

Website:  www.nfb.org/scholarships

Discussion Groups: www.nfb.net.org

There is a Braille literacy crisis in America.  For the whole story, go
to www.braille.org <http://www.braille.org/> .