[nfbwatlk] Here It Is ... no Surprise

debby phillips semisweetdebby at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 05:59:01 UTC 2010

Hi Mike, I know they have.  I guess it sucks to be sold out by a
legislator who isn't or wasn't thinking beyond her nose.  It was
a place that brought me freedom, friendships, fun and yes, love.
We had a pretty wonderful staff when I was there--with a few
exceptions.  For me as a little kid, that would have been the
"least restrictive environment".  In my memory I will walk its
halls, smell the particular smell of each building, remember
lessons learned, and hear the laughter and yes, sometimes tears
of my friends.  Okay, sorry for being soppy and sentimental.
Gosh.

I have a feeling that the state of OREGON is going regret this
decision someday.  If the word lasts long enough (and sometimes
I'm not sure about that) there will be some epidemic or something
and there will be tons of blind kids again.  Public schools are
getting worse and worse, and if I were the parent of a blind
child I'm not sure I'd want my kids mainstreamed, or at least not
totally.  Some of my friends, upon leaving the School for the
Blind in Oregon went through hell during public school.  I guess
I was one of the blessed ones.  I had just become a Christian and
got involved in church, etc.  That helped so much!  Not tooting
my own horn or anything cuz what happened thirty something years
ago is only good for the family pics, but I was Prom Queen.  I
had friends who were "hoods" friends who were Christians, a few
that probably were doing drugs.  I didn't care, I just kind of
liked everybody, smiled a lot and talked a lot, as well as
listened a lot.  I was no Sweet Pea.  Lol.  Haven't changed those
aspects of my life over the years.  Lol.  Oh, I'm gettin rambly
again.  Sorry.    Debby