[nfbwatlk] Fw: [wtbbl] Spring "Reading Matters" from WTBBL!

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Thu Jun 10 15:57:03 UTC 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: WTBBL
To: Mike Freeman
Sent: Thursday, June 10, 2010 8:48 AM
Subject: [wtbbl] Spring "Reading Matters" from WTBBL!

Washington Talking Book & Braille Library

Administered by the Washington State Library

and Office of the Secretary of State

              Reading Matters

Spring 2010

David Junius, Editor

A Message from Danielle Miller, WTBBL Program Manager

Spring is a symbol of growth and renewal.  It is true that the last several months have seen a tightening and shrinking of our staff and budget, but we can still look forward to what spring brings.  For WTBBL, the tireless advocacy efforts of our patrons will give us the ability to hire back two new staff positions effective July 1, 2010.  Adding staff will be a tremendous help in our efforts to get everyone transitioned to our new digital books.  I cannot thank the patrons of WTBBL enough for their support!

          Another area of growth this spring is in our continued transition to digital.  We have served everyone in good standing on our waiting list, and we are now sending digital players to new borrowers and taking steps to get them out to the remainder of our patrons.  We receive shipments of digital players every two weeks so the wait time for a player is very short.  I encourage you to contact the library to get one and to motivate your friends to contact us for their own digital talking book player.

We are also receiving more and more digital books and were able to raise the limit on books from one to two, and we'll be raising it again soon.  The downloading of digital books is also growing.  The number of books downloaded by WTBBL patrons on BARD in the last month increased by 35%!

Our favorite event of the spring is our annual Ten-Squared High Tea celebrating our patrons who are 100 years old and older.  This year was our sixth Ten-Squared event and it was held the Saturday before Mother's Day.  Our theme focused on technology and invention, and WTBBL staff created a media presentation that included seven centenarians talking about the inventions and innovations that had the greatest impact on their lives.   Some of the highlighted innovations were electricity, washing machines and talking books.  This was my third Ten-Squared event, and every year, the energy, joy, and grace of the women at the event impacts my life - they are truly inspiring. For more information on the Ten-Squared event, please read the article entitled "WTBBL Celebrates Its Centenarians" below.

The biennial convention of the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped (NLS) was held in May in Des Moines, Iowa.  I attended the convention along with Theresa Connolly, our Audio Book Production Supervisor.  We both gave presentations and learned a great deal from the staff at NLS and other regional libraries.  Much of the convention focused on digital talking books and downloading books.  Some exciting things on the horizon include the production of magazines on digital cartridge, local administration of BARD, and the digitization of the foreign language collection.

          Once again, thank you for your support of the library.  We look forward to serving you in innovative and exciting ways as more resources become available electronically.  I hope you've been enjoying your spring, reading tons of digital books, and prepping for a fun summer.

I can be reached at danielle.miller at sos.wa.gov or (206) 615-1588 with any questions or ideas you may have.

All the best,

Danielle

PAC Corner by Sue Ammeter, Chair

Greetings from the Patron Advisory Council (PAC)! The weather outside is warming up, and I hope you are enjoying it wherever in the state you may be!

Since we last talked, I attended the Ten-Squared event, along with PAC members Karen Johnson and Mary Mohrman. It was a wonderful celebration of the lives of these centenarian patrons, and the life that WTBBL helps bring to them.  Congratulations to the new inductees and to the members who were able to join this year's festivities.  I am so pleased to have met you all!

Later this year we will be accepting applications for five new members of the PAC, so please keep an eye on the WTBBL website and listserv for updates. (If you're not yet subscribed to the listserv, it's a great source of up-to-the-minute WTBBL news.) As a WTBBL patron you can help guide the future work of WTBBL to serve the people across the state that rely on its services.

Members of the Outreach Committee continue to make themselves available for presentations to schools and service clubs around Washington, in addition to being daily spokespeople for our services. If you have a service club or other setting where our PAC members are located (see the roster below), they may be able to make a presentation to your group. For more information on getting a speaker or scheduling a tour of WTBBL for a group, call our Volunteer and Outreach Coordinator David Junius at (206) 615-0417 or (800) 542-0866, or e-mail him at david.junius at sos.wa.gov.

The Advocacy Committee has actively continued to support patron concerns and to field questions. This is a gratifying role, as they respond to a wide range of concerns, from the future of WTBBL and other services for disabled populations, to the best ways to take advantage of the expanding services that WTBBL is bringing online, such as digital downloads and summer reading for youth.

The following individuals are current members of the Patron Advisory Council.  As always, please contact the PAC member in your area of the state with any questions or ideas you may have.

Sue Ammeter (Port Hadlock) 360-437-7916
Terry Atwater (Olympia) 360-754-8193
George Basioli (Edmonds) 425-771-6299
John Buckmaster (Spokane) 509-327-1132

Norma Jean Campbell (Richland) 425-802-8662

Maria Edelen (Spokane) 509-928-2405

Karen Johnson (Seattle) 206-632-6160

Kevin Larose (Tumwater) 360-539-7016

Jenny McDaniel-Devens (Coupeville) 425-328-9820

Mike Mello (Seattle) 208-301-0565

Mary Anna Mohrman (Seattle) 206-363-0636
Lynette Romero (Olympia) 360-915-9030

Janice Squires (Kennewick) 509-582-4749

Emily Stevenson (University Place) 253-564-1704

WTBBL Celebrates Its Centenarians by David Junius

 WTBBL held its Ten-Squared Talking-Book Club High Tea on May 8. The Ten-Squared Talking-Book Club was started six years ago by the National Library Service (NLS) as a way to recognize the achievements of patrons who are 100 years or older.

Five of WTBBL's 43 centenarians joined staff and volunteers for a wonderful event. Centenarians in attendance were Faith Callahan (105) and Evelyn Valentine (102), and WTBBL's newest club members, Pearl Dreyfus (100), Edna Kemp (100) and Marie S. King (100). Fifteen other patrons not in attendance were also inducted into the club for 2010.

All of the guests brought family members and friends for this pre-Mother's Day event, making it a celebration for all ages.  The centenarians were able to share their thoughts on the technologies and inventions that have made the greatest impact on their lives through a DVD presentation.  The inventions named ranged from laundry appliances and television to the automobile and the airplane.

Building on the technologies theme, Dr. Michael Eisenberg, Dean Emeritus of the University of Washington's Information School, was the featured speaker.  Dr. Eisenberg gave a talk about the future of reading and libraries, and how "virtual reality" existed in printed books before the advent of computers.

Also in attendance were Washington State Librarian Jan Walsh; Washington State Heritage Center Trust Development Director Carleen Jackson; and WTBBL Patron Advisory Council members Sue Ammeter, Karen Johnson, and Mary Mohrman.

The food was graciously provided by Whole Foods Market Westlake, and flowers were provided by Sarah Dorsett of QFC in West Seattle.

Volunteer support came from Bonnie Brown, Theresa Connolly, Jonah Connolly-Cruz, Mary Forster, Rocio Franklin, Steve Goettsch, Sally Jo Hagen, Herrick Heitman, David Junius, Danielle Miller, John Pai, Gregg Porter, Amy Ravenholt and Eura Ryan.

The Lowdown on Downloads by Theresa Connolly

The Audio Services Department is focusing all efforts on getting our locally produced books out in digital format.   This expands the number of books our patrons have to choose from, puts Washington authors in the limelight and allows our patrons to participate in local book programs like the Washington State Book Awards, the Sasquatch Awards and Washington Reads.  It builds a nice community, too.  The volunteers who read, review and help with the final production have a sense that they are doing something for their neighbors.

Recently, I spoke to a patron who is 100 years old.  She said that she has used talking books for 25 years and that she considers the volunteers who produce the books her friends.  She went on to say that the books have been a lifesaver and that they have provided her with a lot of contentment.  She is delighted with her new digital player because it is so easy to use and the sound is much clearer.  I think her testament is a good reason to keep on working hard to get more and more good books available.

We offer our books as downloads from our website and on cartridge.   In addition to having single books, we will soon be putting multiple titles on cartridges.  That way, someone who wants to listen to several books in a series can have them all on one cartridge.  We are starting with The Greywalker  series by Kat Richardson.  Series cartridges will come in really handy for fans of Mary Daheim's Emma Lord series featuring the town of Alpine, since there is a new mystery for every letter of the alphabet!  Our younger readers will soon have the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books by Jeff Kinney and Gregor  by Suzanne Collins.

 If you are interested in what local books are available, search our online catalog (locally produced books have a DBW prefix), or call us!  There are a couple hundred ready for you right now.  We aim to add at least 10 new titles a month so have a look and enjoy reading!

NEW Books Available at WTBBL! by Herrick Heitman

Here are some of the audio books on cartridge and in braille that WTBBL has recently produced through the efforts of our excellent volunteers.  All locally produced books are also available for download.

Happy Reading!

Audio: Adult Fiction

Invisible Lives by Anjali Banerjee.

Lakshmi Sen works at her mother's sari shop in Seattle. Her parents have chosen a doctor for her to marry, but she finds herself attracted to a customer's chauffer in this lighthearted book about love and cultural clashes. Narrated by Zee LeRoy. 7 hours. DBW 8150.

Precious Cargo by Clyde Ford.

The discovery of a woman's body in Washington's Bellingham Bay leads private investigator Charlie Noble and his partner Raven to a father-and-son team of human traffickers who smuggle young women into the United States and force them into prostitution.  Narrated by Duane Barr. 8.5 hours. DBW 8193.

Remembering the Light by Priscilla Maynard.

Poems by a Seattle writer/artist. Narrated by Ann Lewis. 30 minutes. DBW 8164.

Set This House in Order by Matt Ruff.

Andy Gage has Multiple Personality Disorder. Andrew, one of Andy's personalities, keeps Andy together enough to get a job at a software company in Seattle. Andrew loses control when Andy meets Penney, a co-worker who also has Multiple Personality Disorder. Narrated by David Ritt. 18.75 hours. DBW 8069.

Audio: Adult Non-Fiction

Ask Ciscoe: Oh, La La! Your Gardening Questions Answered by Ciscoe Morris.

Popular Master Gardener Ciscoe Morris gives expert advice on 400 common questions about lawns, fruit trees, flowers, and gardening supplies. Narrated by Cynthia Ellis. 11.5 hours. DBW 7941.

B Street: the Notorious Playground of Coulee Dam by Lawney L. Reyes.

Thousands of workers came from around the country to build the Grand Coulee Dam during the Depression. B Street was where they went to spend their money and have a good time. Indians weren't welcome there, even as the dam changed their way of life forever. Narrated by Mary Schlosser. 4.25 hours. DBW 8157.

Out of Left Field: How the Mariners Made Baseball Fly in Seattle by Art Thiel.

The Mariners were a consolation prize after Seattle lost its first major league team, the Pilots. Threats by the team's owners to move the Mariners to another city were an annual event. Thiel tells how the team and its stars came to be loved by the city and part of the fabric of Northwest life. Narrated by Steven Crozier. 10 hours. DBW 7619.

Audio: Fiction for youth

Time Stops for No Mouse by Michael Hoeye.

Hermux Tantamoq, a  mouse who repairs watches, is given an expensive watch to repair by another mouse, Linka Perflinger. Hermux goes in search of Linka when she doesn't return to pick up her watch. Soon he discovers that bad things are happening. Narrated by Robert Phillips. Grades 3-5. 6.25 hours. DBW 7488.

Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days by Jeff Kinney.

It's summer vacation and all Greg Heffley wants to do is stay indoors, watch TV and play video games. Too bad his parents have other ideas-like making him read books. Narrated by Erik Schwab. Grades 5-8. 2 hours. DBW 8183.

Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins.

11-year-old Gregor and his 2-year-old sister Boots fall into the Underland, a world under New York City. Gregor finds himself leading the fight of Underland's people, giant bats, and talking cockroaches against warlike rats. Narrated by Dave Watson. Grades 4-7.  5 hours. DBW 7791.

How to Steal a Dog by Barbara O'Connor.

Georgina, her brother Toby, and her mother weren't always homeless, but now they're living in a car. Georgina decides to raise money by kidnapping a dog and then collecting the reward. Things don't go as planned. Still she learns from her experience. Narrated by Zee LeRoy. Grades 3-7. 4 hours. DBW 8133.

Dragonslippers by Jessica Day George.

Creel, an orphaned seamstress, befriends a dragon who gives her a pair of slippers that turn out to have magical powers. When the slippers fall into the wrong hands it's up to Creel to save the kingdom.   Narrated  by Susan Tucker. Grades 4-9. 7.5 hours. DBW 8077.

Braille: Adult Fiction

Fire and Ice by J. A. Jance.

Two of Jance's favorite characters, Seattle detective J. P. Beaumont and Arizona sheriff Joanna Brady, join forces when the murders of six women in the Northwest are linked to the murder of an elderly man in the Southwest. BRW 1305.

The Smoke Room by Earl Emerson.

Jason Gun, a new firefighter, is glad when two fellow firefighters cover for him when he makes a mistake. He finds himself in over his head when returning the favor gets him involved with larceny and murder. BRW 1301.

Where You Once Belonged by Kent Haruf.

Jack Burdette is a high school football star gone bad in a small Colorado town. He had to leave town to avoid jail, but years later he returns with worse things in mind.  BRW 1304.

Braille: Adult Non-Fiction

Nisei Daughter by Monica Sone.

Sone, the daughter of Japanese immigrants, grew up in Seattle during the 1930s and 1940s. Her life was a mixture of American and Japanese culture. Because of her Japanese ancestry she was sent to an internment camp during World War II where she found her American identity. BRW 1296.

West Coast Journeys by Caroline C. Leighton.

The Northwest was a frontier in the 1860s and 1870s. Leighton left New York for San Francisco in 1865 and continued her travels throughout California and the Pacific Northwest for the next 14 years. She explored many places and witnessed many sights that no white woman had yet experienced.  BRW 1310.

Braille: Fiction for youth

Fablehaven by Brandon Moll.

Seth and Kendra are teenagers staying at their grandfather's estate that turns out to be a refuge for magical creatures. Some of them are quite dangerous and things get out of control. Grades 6-8. BRW 1306.

The Grape Thief by Kristine L. Franklin.

It's 1925 and  Slave "Cuss" Petrovich is a smart kid (among his talents is the ability to swear in 14 languages) in the coal mining town of Roslyn, Washington. He hopes to stay in school, but a family tragedy involving the mob forces him to reconsider his hopes for an education. Instead he might have to go work in the mines. Grades 4-12. BRW 1303.

Tuned In with Gregg Porter

The recording and radio-automation systems we currently use at the Evergreen Radio Reading Service (ERRS) are more than a decade old, and since there have been so many changes in computer software during that time, we are working on selecting and installing new software to replace them.  Broadcasters John Pai and Gregg Porter are currently learning and testing a new automation program called WireReady, which was chosen partly because (unlike the older software) it is accessible and compatible with screen reader programs.  We are also optimistic that it will be more stable than the current system, and lead to less on-air downtime.

Our "Talk Show" broadcasts continue to present conversations on a wide range of interesting topics.  Recent broadcasts have covered the Blind Youth Audio Project, paratransit options across the state, civil rights, digital book downloading, National Volunteer Week, and several arts festivals in the region.  If you missed a live show (Wednesday at 6 p.m.) or its rebroadcast (Sunday at 6 p.m.), check our website - we might have the show you want up on our archives, to listen to at your leisure.

Authors paying us a visit on our "Literary News" program in the last few months include recording artist Moby (Gristle), best-selling author Chang Rae-Lee (The Surrendered), local writer David Stoesz (The Uptight Seattleite), New York Times best-selling author Anne Lamott (Imperfect Birds), and award-winning author Walter Mosley (Known to Evil).  Elizabeth Kostova (The Swan Thieves), Heidi Durrow (The Girl Who Fell from the Sky), Elif Shafak (The Forty Rules of Love), Christopher Moore (Bite Me: A Love Story), Sonya Chung (Long for This World), and Lisa Shannon (A Thousand Sisters) were also in our studio for interviews. Look for them in the upcoming months on Tuesdays at 10 a.m. or Thursday at 6 a.m.

We're always evaluating and adjusting our program schedule, especially the programs we get from outside sources.  Since the first of the year, you may have noticed a number of excellent programs from other national radio-reading services being broadcast on ERRS. If you have any questions or comments about our programming, local or national, please be sure to get in touch to let us know how you feel - positively or negatively.  One of the best ways is to drop an e-mail to radio at sos.wa.gov.

Thanks, and keep listening!

Volunteers Recognized at WTBBL! by David Junius

During the week of April 19 to 24, WTBBL said "thank you" to its volunteers by hosting its annual Volunteer Appreciation Week. We had 172 volunteers stop by during the week, a 9.1 percent increase over last year's celebration.

Generous food donors included the Essential Baking Company, Fred Meyer, Noah's Bagels, PCC Natural Markets, QFC and Trader Joe's.  The donors allowed WTBBL to provide snacks every day of volunteer week. Volunteers were also given a WTBBL mug as a gift in recognition of their commitment.

Established in 1974 by President Richard Nixon, National Volunteer Week focuses national attention on the impact and power of volunteerism and service as an integral aspect of our civic leadership.

WTBBL has 400 volunteers who contribute more than 32,000 hours of work each year, equivalent to 15 full-time employees.  WTBBL volunteers work in shipping and circulation, patron services, book narration and production, braille transcription and the Evergreen Radio Reading Service.

Interested in volunteering at WTBBL?

We are looking for Talking Book and Machine Inspectors, News and Program Readers for our Evergreen Radio Reading Service, Book Reviewers and help with final book production, Braille Proofreaders, and workers for special library projects. For more information, contact David Junius at (206) 615-0417 or david.junius at sos.wa.gov.

Meet Our Staff: Ed Godfrey

Ed is WTBBL's Braille Department staff person, coordinating the work of 30 volunteers. These include braille transcribers who work at home, and the volunteers who come to WTBBL each week to proofread the work of the transcribers.  He is also teaching WTBBL's current braille transcription class, which began in January and is scheduled to end in early summer.

The Braille Department's volunteers produce books for the library's statewide braille collection.  As the department staff person, Ed embosses and binds the completed braille volumes.  He also produces braille editions of the library's newsletter, booklists, and other projects for the library.

Ed started working for the library in 1985. He received his literary braille certification in 1979, and his music braille certification in 1990.  Ed has served on the National Braille Association's Skills Committees in music, foreign language, and computer braille, and has given workshops at national and regional braille conferences.

A Seattle native, Ed was a "Boeing brat" who grew up in Washington, New Mexico, Missouri, Alabama and Montana.  He enjoys music, books and libraries, genealogy, traveling and eating at his favorite restaurants.

A HUGE Thanks to Our Donors! by Carleen Jackson

It is hard to find the words to adequately express our gratitude for the generosity shown by our many donors this year to the WTBBL Annual Fund. Also, thanks to those who responded to the telephone survey last fall.  More than 84 percent of you gave WTBBL the highest rating for customer service and many offered some great suggestions to improve even more!

Although the year is not yet over, more than $75,000 has been donated by individual donors. Of that amount WTBBL was the beneficiary of three bequests totaling $12,500.

Remembering WTBBL in your will is an easy way to ensure that the audio books, braille materials and the radio programming that you value so much will be continued for generations to come.  You know that WTBBL's service to those who cannot read standard print material is becoming more advanced and more sophisticated.  With the new digital players, there are many more opportunities to receive reading material quicker and easier, including the ability to download books from your computer.

By including WTBBL in your will, you will be providing for WTBBL's future and its ability to respond to the changes that will continue to come even more rapidly.  WTBBL has been at the forefront of service to the visually impaired for over 100 years.  In fact, WTBBL has just won a prestigious national award for being "ahead of the curve" in creativity and innovation both in developing new patron services and patron satisfaction. Clearly, WTBBL knows how to put your gifts to work in new ways to benefit you.

We continue to serve you, our patrons and donors, with your support through annual gifts and bequests.  If you would like more information on how to include WTBBL in your will, please contact me, Carleen Jackson, Director of Development, (360) 902-4126, or at carleen.jackson at sos.wa.gov.

Washington Talking Book & Braille Library (wtbbl)
An email list bringing you the latest information from the Washington Talking Book & Braille Library, including newletters, booklists and items of importance.
---
You are currently subscribed to wtbbl as: k7uij at panix.com.