[nfbwatlk] Fw: FDA clears first implantable telescope for vision

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Wed Jul 7 18:20:52 UTC 2010

Debby:

It's nutty because it isn't a ttrue replacement for the vision the person
being operated upon has lost. The person must be trained to integrate the
differing vision from each eye into a single picture. It isn't at all clear
to me that such training will constitute much of a replacement for what said
person had lost. Better to learn to function as a blind person. Far cheaper,
more permanent (the person presumably still will lose central acuity in the
eye with the telescopic implant and it will ultimately have been for
nothing) and costs a heck of a lot less.

Mike