[nfbwatlk] What people look like

PUBLIC RADIO 113 publicradio113 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 01:34:44 UTC 2010

Ben got it right.  One of the things we are tought, or learn, in radio is
that when you hold your head level and smile as you face a microphone your
voice will convey a different message than it will when you look downward
and speak without smiling.  Is this important to an audience who, for
communication purposes, is blind?  Absolutely.  Many years ago I interviewed
a blind  social worker and asked her about body language and her ability to
interpret what she heard, even felt from her clients.  Breathing rate, pitch
and tone of voice, etc., were all part of the equasion.
Some of the most interesting people I know are not necessarily the best
looking, but they have character.

When you talk to someone, do you get the feeling that they are actually
listening?

Are they evasive when asked direct questions?

Many times the feeling you get from people can be how they are responding to
you.
Despite our best efforts there are still people who are nervous around blind
people, and part of "educating the public" is showing a great deal of
patience, often answering silly questions, or questions we think are silly.
Anyhow, it is an interesting topic and my opinions, as on program, are not
necessarily those of this station....

.
--
Paul Van Dyck