[nfbwatlk] About scholarships and Programs

Dan Frye dfrye at nfb.org
Sat Feb 6 23:36:13 UTC 2010

Your problem is not, based on your description of your
circumstance, solely, or even largely, one of blindness; it is
instead one of your legal status in the country.  Vocational
rehabilitation services can generally be given to non-citizens,
since no requirement of citizenship is necessary to gain support,
but this is a somewhat vague area of the law, contingent on how
empathetic the rehabilitation administrators are toward providing
assistance to non-citizens.  During these tight budgetary times,
it is probably fashionable to be hostile toward immigrants.

I can help you identify an attorney that can assist you in
determining if any steps exist to help you get a more permanent
status in the United States.  Whether this can be achieved will
be determined by a variety of factors, including how you were
brought to this country and whether you have relations with
someone able and willing to sponsor your admission.  If you want
this lawyer's name that I know who manages immigration concerns,
write me privately at the contact details below in my signature
block.  Until your immigration status is resolved, despite how
frightening the prospect of dealing with this matter might be,
you will be unable to get a Social Security Number, an INS
number, or green card.  Until these matters are resolved, you
will be challenged to gain federal financial assistance for
school or gain access to other sources of aid.  This is as much
general detail as I am prepared to offer in public; if you want
advocacy support at a more individual level, you should contact
me privately in order to secure your right to confidentiality.

Good luck in your effort.  Your resolve, if it is genuine, should
be to your advantage.

With Kind Regards,

Daniel B.  Frye
Office: (410) 659-9314, Ext 2208
Mobile: (410) 241-7006
Note: This message has been issued remotely from the BrailleNote.