[nfbwatlk] FW: Just hung up from talking with Lou Oma Durand

Gloria Whipple fairyfoot at webband.com
Sat Feb 6 22:22:07 UTC 2010

Sounds like a job well done!

Thanks to all who participated!

Gloria Whipple
Corrisponding secretary
Inland Empire chapter
nfb of WA

cell number: 509-475-4993

-----Original Message-----
From: nfbwatlk-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:nfbwatlk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On
Behalf Of Mike Freeman
Sent: Saturday, February 06, 2010 3:14 AM
To: nfbwatlk at nfbnet.org
Subject: Re: [nfbwatlk] FW: Just hung up from talking with Lou Oma Durand

Hi, all!

I haven't said much until now because in a volatile legislative atmosphere
such as this, it pays to be cautious as one never knows whether or not
objectionable bills will be resurrected and tacked onto other legislation.
We (NFBW) have taken advantage of this tactic more than once. Luckily,
however, there are requirements in the Washington state legislature that all
provisions of bills be germane to the major thrust of a bill so while such
funny-business does happen, it's rarer than at the Federal level, especially
during a short session.

All of which is to say that I believe it's appropriate to quietly celebrate.
In all likelihood, we have protected the status of the Washington State
School for the Blind and the Department of Services for the Blind as
separate state agencies this year.

Having said this, however, we must be ever-vigilant. That is the price of
good government. But, ladies and gentlemen, I think we've done it. Hurrah
for collective action.

In the NFB, however, it seems our work is never done! Now we must see what
we can do to restore at least some of WTBBL's funding. I shall have more to
say about this in the coming days.

Congratulations, all!

Mike Freeman, President
National Federation of the Blind of Washington