[nfbwatlk] Mike is right and more

Robert Sellers robertsellers500 at comcast.net
Sat Aug 7 18:58:09 UTC 2010

Hi Debbie.

Yes, those were the times. I believe it was the 1978 National convention
when a blind person in a wheelchair,  forcing his way through the crowd
shouting "The NFB doesn't speak for me. The NFB doesn't speak for me." Just
as  your healing took place. As the NFB became as a 'family', it took a
healing through all of us. Let us work to be sure that part of history
doesn't   repeatg within the NFB again. I suppose one can draw a parrellel
between a Church family and the NFB family, that is, each member has a value
and  worth, whether that   person be  a leader  or someone who can't make
every meeting. One concept that I came out with of that period of time was
that, it is important each member of  the   family has a thought, idea or
feeling and  should  not need to keep them stuffed, but with respect and
decency express those thoughts and  feelings.   I was able to test that
approach.  I raised my 4 kids alone, from the ages of 5 through 11, trying
the 5 of us to  use 3 phrases with 3 words in each phrase. Those phrases
were: I love you, I am sorry and Please, forgive me. With that approach, an
being involved with a Church, as they grew to adults,  only once did we
need to raise  our voice to be heard.  By no means, am  I perfect nor was I
a perfect parent, and my kids will  not become President of the U.S., nor
will  they   find the cure for cancer.
Sorry, I got  off topic a bit. As we know, the Federation is different for
each person, but let us work not to return to 'those times' by listening to
each other's  concerns and showing love, understanding and respect twards
each member.

 Debbie, good luck in your endeavors. May peace be your ally.

Best regards,
Bob Sellers