[nfbwatlk] FW: [wtbbl] Fall 2009 Reading Matters

Jacob Struiksma lawnmower84 at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 30 23:53:02 UTC 2009

  _____

From: WTBBL [mailto:wtbbl at list.statelib.wa.gov]
Sent: Monday, November 30, 2009 3:41 PM
To: Jacob Struiksma
Subject: [wtbbl] Fall 2009 Reading Matters

	WTBBL Logo, picturing a bird in flight superimposed on an open book.

Washington Talking Book & Braille Library

Administered by the Washington State Library

and Office of the Secretary of State

              Reading Matters

 Fall/Holiday 2009

David Junius, Editor

A Message from Danielle (King) Miller, WTBBL Program Manager

HPIM0900In October, WTBBL held its first patron art show, "An Expression of
Touch." The opening reception was on October 16, with the show the following
week in the WTBBL Gallery (a.k.a. our conference room) representing 12
patron artists with works ranging from pottery, sculptures and painting, to
fabric art, knitting and textiles.

All of the work was beautiful both to touch and to experience visually.
Each piece had a title and description in front of it in both braille and
large print.  Detailed artist statements were available in braille and large
print, as was the exhibit program.

We welcomed more than 150 visitors during the week and the show was a huge
success.  The Seattle Times ran a story on the show with quotes and
photographs of two of the artists and we were featured on a few Internet
blogs as well.

We plan on doing another art show next October, and have already heard from
interested artists.  So, get that creativity flowing and consider submitting
your work for the next WTBBL patron art show!

Since our last issue of Reading Matters, we have distributed almost 300
digital talking book machines (DBMs) to WTBBL veterans.  We wanted to
hand-deliver players to the first two veterans on our

(continued)

list in the Seattle area.  On August 28, WTBBL Shipping Supervisor

Sally Jo Hagen and Evergreen Radio Reading Service Lead Broadcaster John Pai
accompanied me to deliver the first DBMs.

The morning took us to the home of Arne Kielhaven, an 82-year- old World War
II veteran and avid reader. Arne was delighted with his DBM and is most
excited about not having to deal with twisted tapes or tapes that aren't
rewound.

That afternoon, we went to the home of 96-year-old artist Mary Tift.  Mary
served as a WAVE (Women Accepted for Volunteer Emergency Service) in the
Navy during World War II.  Mary was also thrilled with her DBM, saying the
buttons were very well organized, and learning the shapes and locations of
all the keys quickly.  She also appreciated how the DBM keys "talk" to you,
describing their function and guiding you through their use.

A KING-5 News crew met us at Mary's apartment and did a brief interview.
Mary and the new digital technology were featured on that evening's
broadcast.

Our distribution of the first two batches of DBMs has been exhilarating for
WTBBL staff and eager patrons alike. The feedback we have received from
patrons is outstanding and the transition is going smoothly.

I want to remind you that DBMs are not being sent automatically, nor are
patrons automatically added to the waiting list.  All interested patrons
need to contact us and ask us to add them to the list if they haven't
already done so.  Please call (206) 615-0400 or (800) 542-0866 to ask to be
added to the waiting list.

We will be starting the general patron lottery in early December, but you
should hang on to your cassette player if you are a cassette user.  For the
next couple of years, there will be a shortage of digital talking books as
the new collection grows and you will want to make use of both formats.

I wish you all a happy holiday season.  As the weather grows cooler and the
days get shorter, be sure to have some good books on hand!  As always, feel
free to contact me with any questions or comments.  I can be reached at
(206) 615-1588 or danielle.miller at sos.wa.gov (please note the new e-mail
address).

All the best,

Scan0001

Danielle

PAC Corner by Sue Ammeter, Chair

Season's Greetings from the Patron Advisory Council (PAC)!  I hope your
holiday season is off to a good start, and that 2010 brings you only good
things. Here are some updates from the PAC:

Members of the Outreach Committee continue to make themselves available for
presentations to schools and service clubs around Washington. Recent
examples include staffing a table at a well-attended health fair in
Vancouver and collaborating with the Meals-on-Wheels program in the Spokane
area to deliver information to those unaware of WTBBL.

As always, if you have a service club or other setting where our PAC members
are also located (see the roster below), they may be able to make a
presentation to your group. For more information on getting a speaker or
scheduling a tour for a group, call David Junius at (206) 615-0417 or (800)
542-0866, or e-mail him at david.junius at sos.wa.gov.

The Advocacy Committee has continued to be busy supporting patron concerns
and fielding questions on everything from our volunteer opportunities to our
new digital players.

We were also successful in getting funding to host a traveling braille
display that will be set up in the Legislative Building in Olympia during
March of 2010. Check out the WTBBL website and the Winter 2010 issue of
Reading Matters for more news on this exciting exhibit!

We have had a wonderful response to our call for applications to serve on
the PAC, as highlighted in the Summer 2009 installment of PAC Corner. I look
forward to introducing our new PAC members in the next issue of Reading
Matters.

At our October 17 meeting, the PAC elected its 2010 slate of officers: Sue
Ammeter, Chair; Norma Jean Campbell, Vice-Chair; and Mike Mello, Secretary.
We all look forward to helping lead the PAC in the new year!

I want to thank outgoing PAC members Signe Rose, Dick Deming, Jim Eccles and
Sandra Driscoll, whose terms are ending on December 31. They have made a
huge difference by serving on the PAC and made WTBBL an even greater service
through their involvement.

The following individuals are current members of the Patron Advisory
Council.  As always, please contact the PAC member in your area of the state
with any questions or ideas you may have.

(continued)

Sue Ammeter (Port Hadlock) 360-437-7916
Terry Atwater (Olympia) 360-754-8193
George Basioli (Edmonds) 425-771-6299
John Buckmaster (Spokane) 509-327-1132

Norma Jean Campbell (Richland) 425-802-8662

Richard Deming (Longview) 360-577-1396
Sandra Driscoll (Seattle) 206-633-3045
Jim Eccles (Vancouver) 360-258-1269
Maria Edelen (Spokane) 509-928-2405

Laine Henline (Seattle) 206-724-3501

Jenny McDaniel-Devens (Keyport) 425-328-9820

Mike Mello (Seattle) 208-301-0565
Lynette Romero (Olympia) 360-915-9030
Signe Rose (Seattle) 206-956-4289

WTBBL Unveils New Patron Computer Station by Ann Hay

 With today's wide variety of accessible/adaptive computer equipment on the
market, WTBBL's new Patron Computer Station (PCS) nicely complements other
equipment available in the library.

While WTBBL cannot offer every software or hardware option on every computer
platform, this new PCS has a number of nice features that make it attractive
and useful to WTBBL patrons, particularly for those who want to download
digital books but don't have access at home.

The PCS has been tested by a number of WTBBL patrons and is

now available to all WTBBL patrons. It should become a very popular
resource. Please call the library to ask about the PCS and to schedule a
time to use this resource.

Here are the technologies now offered at the Patron Computer Station:

Windows XP Professional operating system

Internet Explorer 7 web browser

Firefox 3.5 web browser

Microsoft Office 2007 Suite, including Word and Excel

Adobe Reader 9.2

JAWS 11.0 screen reader software

PowerBraille 40 character refreshable braille display

MAGic 11.0 screen magnification software

(continued)

Windows XP magnifier software

Duxbury 10.7 braille translation program

Romeo 25 braille embosser

Direct link to the NLS BARD digital book download system

Direct link to WTBBL's digital book download system

Desktop LaserJet printer

Epson 4490 scanner

ABBYY FineReader 6.0 software for scanner

24" adjustable monitor

Desktop speakers and headphones

A variety of standard and ergonomic mousing devices

Anthro adjustable height table

We also have this equipment available for use:

Kurzweil Personal Reader Automatic Scanner

Plustek OpticBook 3600 scanner

APH tape player

Handheld and lighted desktop magnifiers

Closed-Circuit Television magnifiers (CCTV)

Library Students Add Value to WTBBL by Lara Phillips

At the beginning of 2009, WTBBL re-established itself as a partner with the
Information School at the University of Washington as part of its Directed
Fieldwork program.

Directed Fieldwork students (or DFWs) are graduate students in UW's Library
and Information Science program who get real-world professional library
experience at WTBBL. The DFWs are learning the ins and outs of library
cataloging under a librarian mentor who supervises their work.

Since January, three DFWs have completed academic quarters at WTBBL, with
three students currently participating for the fall

term. These six DFWs have helped us catalog new large print books, as well
as make sure our new digital books are ready to be mailed

out days after we receive them. DFW students are making a lot of
behind-the-scenes updates to our library catalog to better serve our
patrons.

Early in the year we hosted a worker from the Library & Information Services
program at Highline Community College, who

  (continued)

was very helpful in organizing our standard print collection. We also had a
couple of recent UW library grads who volunteered to share their new
expertise. We have a few library school hopefuls who are getting some
hands-on experience prior to applying to library programs.

You may not see their work directly, but you've probably benefited from the
work of our student workers. Thanks to all of our students, and best wishes
for a successful future!

Now Hear These! by Theresa Connolly

            The staff and volunteers in the Audio Services Department have
been diligently working on producing books for the new digital players.
Thanks to the work of many people, including our Information Technology
staff, there are now more than 130 books to download from the WTBBL website,
with three to five new books

added each week.

We will now be able to make circulating copies of our locally produced books
so that people who do not have access to a computer can still read the
books. About a month ago, our first shipment of blank cartridges arrived. In
addition to having one book per cartridge, we will experiment with putting a
series of books on a single cartridge.

For example, the first four books in Mary Daheim's Emma Lord series will be
on one cartridge instead of divided among four. That way, the listener will
have all four books available and can choose to listen to all or just one.
At the beginning on the cartridge, there will be an announcement giving the
titles and an easy way to find each one.

The process of getting a book into final form involves the work of at least
five people: the narrator, reviewer, production volunteer,

and several staff members.  It also requires four different pieces of
computer software. The volunteers and staff make sure their work is
top-notch, but if you ever notice something wrong with a book, please
contact Theresa Connolly at (206) 615-0415 or (800) 542-0866.  It is often
easy to fix a problem, but we need to know it exists first!

WTBBL's Newly Produced Books by Kathryn Pierce

Note about WTBBL-produced braille: The following descriptions and the
downloadable braille files are added to our website as each book is
completed. An embossed copy is also available for checkout.

Adult Braille - Fiction

The Eye of the Heron by Ursula K. Le Guin. A wealthy young woman named Luz
has begun to feel that the subjugation of the worker class on her planet is
wrong, and slowly discovers its origins. Some violence. 3 volumes. BRW 1275.

Hand of Evil [#3, Ali Reynolds Mystery] by J. A. Jance. Former anchorwoman
Ali Reynolds is drawn into two crises in her Sedona, Arizona, hometown -- an
elderly woman being harassed by her

nephew and a detective's discovery that his adolescent daughter is

living a secret life. Some violence and strong language. 6 volumes. BRW
1276.

No Man's Land [#5, Frank Corso mysteries] by G.M. Ford. Convicted murderer
Timothy Driver seizes control of a prison and demands that Seattle
true-crime writer Frank Corso come and negotiate for the lives of 163
hostages. Violence and strong language. 5 volumes. BRW 1268.

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield. Reclusive author Vida Winter, has
promised to finally reveal the strange truths of her life to her appointed
biographer, Margaret Lea. 7 volumes. BRW 1282.

The Tie That Binds by Kent Haruf. Edith Goodnough feels bound by

duty to maintain the family farm in Colorado, sacrificing her chance

for happiness with the man she loves. Strong language. 4 volumes. BRW 1291.

Adult Braille - Non-Fiction

Estate Planning for People with a Chronic Condition or Disability by Martin
M. Shenkman. Reviews the basic components of estate planning while
considering issues of illness or disability. 5 volumes. BRW 1279.

(continued)

Children and Teens Braille - Fiction

Aunt Nancy and the Bothersome Visitors by Phyllis Root. Four humorous tall
tales about the ingenious ways Aunt Nancy rids herself of pesky visitors.
Grade 2 and up. 1 volume. BRW 1285.

A Barrel of Laughs, a Vale of Tears by Jules Feiffer. In this humorous tale,
a magician suggests a quest to cure Prince Roger's undignified constant
laughter. Grade 4 and up. 2 volumes. BRW 1288.

Diamonds in the Shadow by Caroline Cooney. Teenager Jared Finch is dismayed
when his parents volunteer to host a West African refugee family. He soon
begins to suspect that the family may have someone very dangerous on their
trail. Grades 6-9 and older

readers. 3 volumes. BRW 1277.

The Dragon's Child: A Story of Angel Island by Laurence Yep. In 1922,
10-year-old Gim is unhappy that he must accompany the father he barely knows
when he returns to America. 2010 Sasquatch Award nominee. Grade 4 and up. 2
volumes. BRW 1286.

Lenny's Space by Kate Banks. Nine-year-old Lenny is smart, but his attention
is seldom where adults want it to be, and verbal outbursts accompany
whatever his mind is exploring. Grades 2-4. 2 volumes. BRW 1284.

Masterpiece by Elise Broach. James is disappointed to receive a pen and ink
set from his artistic father, but his friend Martin, a beetle, is thrilled
to discover his own talent for miniatures that soon involves

the two in a scheme to apprehend an art thief. Grades 3-6. 3 volumes. BRW
1283.

Penelope by Marilyn Kaye. In modern-day New York, Penelope is the victim of
an age-old family curse that means she has the snout of a pig. If someone of
rank declares his love, the curse will be broken, so her parents arrange
behind-a-screen chats with suitors, hoping someone will fall in love before
they see her face. Grade 4 and up. 3 volumes. BRW 1290.

(continued)

Ten Ways to Make My Sister Disappear by Norma Fox Mazer. Since Dakota turned
12 and became a bossy know-it-all, Sprig has begun to fantasize about events
that would make her older sister disappear. 2010 Sasquatch Award nominee.
Grades 3-6. 2 volumes. BRW 1292.

Note about WTBBL-produced audio: These descriptions and the downloadable
audio files are added to our website as each book is completed. Cassette
and/or digital cartridge copies are available for checkout.

Adult Audio - Fiction

Finding Nouf by Zoe Ferraris. When 16-year-old Nouf goes missing

and is found drowned in the desert outside Jeddah, Nayir, the guide who was
hired by her prominent family to find her, feels compelled to discover what
really happened. Narrated by Lynn Rodgers. 12 hours. CBA 8035.

Let the Northern Lights Erase Your Name by Vendela Vida. After her father's
funeral, Clarissa Iverton finds that her birth certificate lists a stranger
as her male parent. A journey to Helsinki and then to Lapland, north of the
Arctic Circle, is part of her quest to find her birth father and understand
the mother who walked out on her a decade ago. Narrated by Lynn Rodgers.
5.75 hours. CBA 8030.

Littlest Hitler: Stories by Ryan Boudinot. Thirteen stories, many set in

Seattle, exploring the banalities and outrages of everyday American life.
Washington State Book Award Finalist. Descriptions of sex, some violence and
some strong language. Narrated by John Nadeau. 5.75 hours. CBA 8038.

Walla Walla Suite by Anne Argula. Known for her sharp tongue, sense of
humor, and propensity for trouble, Quinn, a newly divorced ex-cop, takes a
"safe" job with Vince Ainge, who works to save prisoners on death row. Some
strong language. Narrated by Rachel Glass. 7 hours. CBA 8061.

(continued)

Adult Audio - Non-Fiction

Hidden Talent: How Leading Companies Hire, Retain, and Benefit from People
with Disabilities by Mark L. Lengnick-Hall. Explores the business and tax
benefits companies receive for hiring disabled workers. Also addresses why
some companies are reluctant to hire the disabled. Narrated by Mary
Schlosser. 6.5 hours. CBA 8037.

Partisans: Politics and Betrayal Among the New York Intellectuals by David
Laskin. The author shows how sex, politics and art affected relationships
among the Partisan Review writers: Mary McCarthy, Edmund Wilson, Philip
Rahv, Robert Lowell, Jean Stafford, Elizabeth Hardwick, Hannah Arendt, Allen
Tate, Caroline Gordon, and Diana

Trilling. Narrated by Cecilia LeBlanc. 14 hours. CBA 8049.

Seattle's International District: The Making of a Pan-Asian American
Community by Doug Chin. A thorough history of the district, including the
influx of various groups, the internment of the Japanese during WWII, and
the concerted effort to revive the district. Narrated by Carter Bentley. 7.5
hours. CBA 8039.

The Show I'll Never Forget edited by Sean Manning. Fifty writers recount
their most memorable concert experience. Narrated by Andrea Lewis. 15 hours.
CBA 8041.

The Winter Olympics: An Insider's Guide to the Legends, the Lore, and the
Games by Ron C. Judd. This compilation of behind-the-scene stories, profiles
of competitors, and details of each sport inform and entertain. The book
includes information about the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver, British
Columbia. Narrated by Laurie Bialik. 12 hours. CBA 8125.

Children and Teens Audio - Fiction

Aunt Nancy and the Bothersome Visitors by Phyllis Root. Four humorous tall
tales about the ingenious ways Aunt Nancy rids herself of pesky visitors.
Grade 2 and up. Narrated by Karen Smith-Fraser. 30 minutes. CBA 8104.

Diamonds in the Shadow by Caroline Cooney. Teenager Jared Finch

(continued)

is dismayed when his parents volunteer to host a West African refugee
family. He soon begins to suspect that the family may have someone very
dangerous on their trail. Grades 6-9 and older readers. Narrated by Steve
Hunziker. 6.5 hours. CBA 8092.

Diary of a Fairy Godmother by Esme Raji Codell. According to her mother,
talented Hunky Dory is destined to be "the wickedest witch wherever the four
winds blow." She, however, suspects that life as a fairy godmother would
suit her better. 2010 Sasquatch Award nominee. Grades 4-7. Narrated by Lynn
Rodgers. 4 hours. CBA 8102.

Diary of a Killer Cat [#1, Killer Cat series] by Anne Fine. Ellie's cat
Tuffy killed a bird, left bloodstains on the carpet, ruined the garden,

and is accused of killing the neighbor's rabbit. He's confused by the
family's displeasure -- after all, he's a cat! Grades 2-4. Narrated by
Laurie Bialik. 30 minutes. CBA 8134. Second in the series, Return of the
Killer Cat, also completed. 2010 Sasquatch Award nominee. Narrated by Laurie
Bialik. 30 minutes. CBA 8116.

The Grape Thief by Kristine Franklin. In 1925 Roslyn, Washington,
12-year-old Slava is upset that he must soon leave school to help support
his family. Joining other boys in stealing grapes from a yearly freight
train, he and a friend decide that riding the rails back to California might
offer them their best chance to find well-paid work. Grade 5 through adult.
Narrated by Marilyn Mason. 6 hours. CBA 8085.

Gregor and the Code of Claw [#5, Underland Chronicles] by Suzanne Collins.
Everyone in Underland has been reluctant to tell Gregor

about the new Prophecy because it seems to require the Warrior's death.
Grades 4-7. Narrated by Zee LeRoy. 9 hours. CBA 8057.

How to Steal a Dog by Barbara O'Connor. Georgina Hayes is desperate to hide
the fact that lately the only place she and her mom and younger brother have
to call home is the family car. When she sees a missing-dog poster offering
a $500 reward, she concocts a scheme that she's sure will relieve her
family's problems -- if only her conscience would stop bothering her. 2010
Sasquatch Award nominee. Grades 3-6. Narrated by Zee LeRoy.  4 hours. CBA
8133.

(continued)

Icefire [#2, Dragon Tales] by Chris D'Lacey. While attending a small town
university, Chris is boarding with a young girl and her mother, who is known
for the clay dragons she creates. His sense of reality is increasingly
challenged by events he'd sooner relegate to fantasy novels. Eventually the
circle widens to include one of his professors, sentient polar bears, and an
arctic expedition where he may discover his role in an ongoing mystery with
its roots in ancient times. Grades 4-7. Narrated by Susan Tucker. 7.75
hours. CBA 8089.

Lenny's Space by Kate Banks. Nine-year-old Lenny is smart, but his attention
is seldom where adults want it to be, and verbal outbursts accompany
whatever his mind is exploring. Grade 3 and up. Narrated by Rick Sipe. 3
hours. CBA 8143.

Looking for Bapu by Anjali Banerjee. Bapu is devastated when, on one of
their bird-watching hikes, his beloved grandfather has a heart attack and
does not recover. Bapu tries everything he can think of to bring his
grandfather back, or at least keep his spirit nearby. Grades 4-7. Narrated
by Sneha Mathan. 4.5 hours. CBA 8050.

Lying Awake by Helen Furbush. An 8-year-old girl lies waiting for sleep on
her grandfather's boat, enjoying the sounds of the marina, and thinking
about their wonderful day enjoying the Kingston, Washington, tide flats. A
Washington Reads book. Grades K-3. Narrated by Danielle King. 29 minutes.
CBA 8067.

Masterpiece by Elise Broach. James is disappointed to receive a pen

and ink set from his artistic father, but his friend Martin, a beetle, is

thrilled to discover his own talent for miniatures that soon involves the
two in a scheme to apprehend an art thief. Grades 3-6. Narrated by Laurie
Bialik. 4.5 hours. CBA 8091.

Minn and Jake's Almost Terrible Summer [#2, Minn & Jake series] by Janet
Wong. Free-verse novel. Ten-year-old Jake's summer vacation deteriorates
when, while visiting his friend Minn in Los Angeles, he feels ignored in
favor of her new pursuits. Grades 3-6. 2008. Narrated by Steve Hunziker. 31
minutes. CBA 8144.

New Found Land by Allan Wolf. The historic Lewis and Clark Expedition is
described by members of the Corps of Discovery, their

(continued)

guide Sacagawea, Captain Lewis' Newfoundland dog, and in the letters and
thoughts of Thomas Jefferson. Middle school through adult. Narrated by Floyd
Hutton. 11 hours. CBA 8052.

Children and Teens Audio - Non-Fiction

The Mutiny on the Bounty by Patrick O'Brien. In 1788, the crew of The Bounty
enjoyed their stay on Tahiti after the hardships of their voyage, but as
they began the journey home, an emotional dispute erupted. The resulting
mutiny initiated a years-long tale of revenge. An adaptation of the classic
tale for young readers. 2010 Sasquatch Award nominee. Narrated by Alita
Kiaer. Grades 2-4. 25 minutes. CBA 8114.

A North American Rain Forest Scrapbook by Virginia Wright-Frierson. The
author describes her exploration of Washington State's temperate rainforest
and the plants and animals she found there. A Washington Reads book. Grades
K-3. Narrated by Lynn Rodgers. 30 minutes. CBA 8068.

Listening In by John Pai & Gregg Porter

We've had an interesting time in recent months here at the Evergreen Radio
Reading Service (ERRS), as the In-Touch Network service out of New York City
shut down unexpectedly, due to their loss of funding.  ERRS used 25 hours a
week of In-Touch programming,

and we had to do a little scrambling to fill the gaps in our schedule.  The
upside of this little crisis is that we have strengthened our ties with
other radio reading services across the country, and many of

them now make programs available to us.  The Talking Information Center of
Massachusetts and the Mind's Eye Information Service of Illinois, for
example, have been providing us with readings from the daily New York Times
and Wall Street Journal, along with weekly magazines such as The Economist
and Business Week.

Meanwhile, several of the former In-Touch staff and volunteers are working
to develop a new Radio Reading Project of New York, resuming production of a
number of their former programs.  We'll keep monitoring their progress - and
you may already be hearing the results on the air!

(continued)

Thanks to all of you who responded to our recent survey about our radio
services.  We are still finishing up the analysis of replies, so we'll soon
be able to tell you more about what our listeners are saying.

Here's hoping for a holiday season filled with joy in your homes, wonderful
programs on your radio, and much nicer weather than last year!

Meet Our Staff: The Shipping Crew

Ashley Baird is from Portland, Oregon, and joined WTBBL in June

HPIM0903 (3)2008.  She graduated from the University of Washington with a
degree in English and a minor in Environmental Studies. Ashley sends out
WTBBL's daily circulation, checks in returned items, and prepares newly
produced talking books to send out. Along with learning Spanish and tutoring
adults getting their GEDs, Ashley collects all things unicorn. She believes
that "information and communication are precious, and that's why libraries
are the most important public resource we have."

Marah Blake hails from the great Garden State of New Jersey and, like
Ashley, has been with WTBBL since June 2008.  Marah received her Bachelor of
Fine Arts in Theatre from Cornish College of the Arts in Seattle. Her daily
work includes collecting requested items HPIM0902 (2)from our stacks,
inspecting them for completeness and quality, and shipping those items to
patrons. In addition to her work at WTBBL, Marah is a dramaturg, providing
research and artistic support to theatre productions and collaborating with
playwrights on new work.  She enjoys reading fiction and essays, learning
more about Washington, and collecting coins.  Of her work Marah says, "One
thing that I love about working here is mailing out one of my favorite
titles to someone. I always hope that they will enjoy the book as much as I
did!"

(continued)

HPIM0901 (2)Rick Slama grew up in the suburbs of Philadelphia, where he
attended high school with Kobe Bryant.  He graduated from Amherst College
with a BA in Philosophy and an album he recorded with his band, Chautauqua.
He has been with WTBBL since April 2007, handling the circulation of our
braille and large print books.  He enjoys all sorts of media and spends most
of

his free time listening to National Public Radio, reading Harper's Magazine,
watching serialized dramas on television, and going to the movies.  Says
Rick, "It's a pleasure to serve patrons who are so genuinely appreciative!"

Interested in volunteering at WTBBL?

We are looking for Talking Book and Machine Inspectors, News and Program
Readers for our Evergreen Radio Reading Service, Book Narrators, and workers
for special library projects. For more information, contact David Junius at
(206) 615-0417 or david.junius at sos.wa.gov.

Join the WTBBL Legacy Society

When you establish a bequest to benefit WTBBL in your will, you help assure
for years to come that patrons have access to an extensive library that
meets their needs for recreational and educational reading.

To honor your commitment to this important service, you will be inducted
into the WTBBL Legacy Society.  As a member of the Legacy Society, you will
inspire others to join you in supporting WTBBL. You will also receive
advance notice of WTBBL special events and new programs.

For more information on making a bequest or about the Legacy Society, please
contact Carleen Jackson at (360) 902-4126

or by e-mail at giving at secstate.wa.gov.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS

AND HAPPY NEW YEAR

FROM THE STAFF OF WTBBL!!!

Free Matter for the Blind or Physically Handicapped

WTBBL Logo, picturing a bird in flight superimposed on an open book.

Washington

Talking Book

& Braille Library

      2021 9th Avenue

    Seattle, WA 98121

      (206) 615-0400

      (800) 542-0866

   (206) 615-0418 TTY

   wtbbl at sos.wa.gov

       www.wtbbl.org

WTBBL STAFF 1

--------------------
Washington Talking Book & Braille Library (wtbbl)
An email list bringing you the latest information from the Washington
Talking Book & Braille Library, including newletters, booklists and items of
importance.
---
You are currently subscribed to wtbbl as: lawnmower84 at hotmail.com.

-----

Sponsored by the Washington State Library,
A Division of the Office of the Secretary of State
General Information: askalibrarian at secstate.wa.gov
http://www.secstate.wa.gov/library/