[nfbwatlk] U of W looking for subjects for study

Ione Fine ionefine at u.washington.edu
Fri May 8 05:15:53 UTC 2009

Hi all,

We're looking for about three more ROP subjects and three more non-ROP
subjects.

Details below ...

Thanks
Ione

Dr. Ione Fine at the University of Washington is looking for subjects for a
study that examines the effects of blindness on the ability to process
tactile and auditory stimuli. It is thought that because visual loss
increases the need to rely on other senses, the ability of blind people to
process auditory and tactile information may be enhanced. We are examining
how this happens in the brain. If you choose to participate you will be
asked to participate in behavioral and/or MR experiments.

We are currently only looking for subjects to participate in the MR part of
the study. You will be asked to participate in one or two MR imaging
sessions (each session lasts up to 2 hours, and each session will be carried
out on a different day). Subjects will simply lie in the scanner and keep
their head and body still. The time within the scanner will be no longer
than 75 minutes. Participants will be paid $45/hour for imaging sessions.
Transportation (using a car service) to and from the University of
Washington will be provided free of charge.

Subjects participating in the MR experiments must have no metal objects in
or on the body during the scan.

Currently we are only recruiting subjects who became blind (using the
definition of having visual acuity of light perception or worse) before the
age of three. This is the completion of the Weaver MRS study so previous
subjects in that study should not re-contact us.

Anyone interested in volunteering should contact Dr. Ione Fine at the phone
number or email address below.

Eligibility: To participate you must be 18 years of age or older. You should
be blind due to damage to the eyes or optic nerve (not cortical impairment),
should have no history of claustrophobia, and no metal objects can be in or
on the body during the scan.

Contact Information:     206-685-6157
ionefine at u.washington.edu

(Please note: the confidentiality of information sent via e-mail cannot be
ensured.)