[nfbwatlk] NEW GPS for PAC Mate

Michael Hooks michaelhooks at nextlevelat.com
Wed Mar 11 06:59:59 UTC 2009

On the Road to Better Navigation

Freedom Scientific and the Sendero Group Announce Collaboration

Freedom Scientific has announced a joint development project with the
Sendero Group.
Jonathan Mosen, Freedom Scientific's Vice President of Blindness Hardware
Product Management, says the benefits of this cooperation will be evident
for all to see and use by mid-year.
"We've raised the bar very high for a major new release of our StreetTalkT
GPS navigation software for PAC Mate Omni," Mosen said. "Customers have
asked us for enhancements such as a virtual mode, intelligent pedestrian
routing, and other blindness-specific features. The combination of the
Sendero Group's technology and the powerful, intuitive StreetTalk user
interface will deliver the best accessible GPS solution available, and all
on the indispensable device that never leaves the side of an increasing
number of blind people. Plus, it will be a single application that will
install quickly and easily. I've been using this product as the development
has continued, and, as a user, I'm delighted with the results."
President and CEO of the Sendero Group, Mike May, has welcomed the
relationship.
"We recognize that PAC Mate OmniT is the device of choice for many blind
people in employment and education. We're pleased that our technology will
assist PAC Mate Omni users to know what's around them and reach their
destination, whether that be on foot, public transport, or when in a car
being the co-pilot for a sighted driver," May said.
The new StreetTalk VIP, retaining the familiar StreetTalk look and feel but