[nfbwatlk] fw: , 7wcb-l7' f nan haw?orne: hiring ! blind and visueaity impair$

Alco Canfield amcanfield at comcast.net
Thu Jul 23 19:42:29 UTC 2009

;i ?"| y'all wd f9d ? 9t}e/+.

alco

-----Original Message-----
From: Carl Jarvis <carjar82 at gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, July 23, 2009 9:54 AM
To: wcb-l at wcbinfo.org
Subject: [Wcb-l] from Nan Hawthorne: Hiring the Blind and Visually Impaired

Don't Just Sit There: Learn Something!
By: Nan Hawthorne, Editor eSight's NetWork News

People ask me, "How do I get a job?"

And I answer, "Be an outstanding candidate!"
It surprises me how many people seem not to understand hiring from the employer's point of view. They seem to think people just get jobs regardless of qualifications. If they apply for one or two jobs and don't get hired right away, they blame it on the employers who, they say, do not want to hire a blind person. Chances are the employer just didn't want to hire anyone but the best candidate for the job.
"Why won't they just give me a chance?" the unsuccessful job hunter asks.

I reply, "Why should they? Are you worth it?"
Believe me, I know from first-hand experience that even being the best candidate for the job doesn't mean you get it, blind or not. But, if you aren't an attractive applicant, you have no one else but yourself to blame.

One of the characteristics all truly successful blind or visually impaired workers have in common is a "go-getter" personality. They seek out and pursue every opportunity to improve themselves and to become a really outstanding employee. That belief in and desire to grow is called "intentional learning."

Too many people think that graduation day is the last day they need to learn anything. Truth be told, some of these folks stopped years before! But we all continue to learn throughout our lives: about people, about work, about interests, even about life itself.

When you take an active role in that learning by personally choosing training and tools which will enhance your career at each stage in its development, you're practicing intentional or lifelong learning. A web site such as eSight is all about that kind of learning. We focus on intentional learning for a successful career. To achieve that success, you must, too.

Someone recently commented to me that she found it very frustrating to deal with people who don't take the initiative while at work. She described a receptionist she knew who learned how to do her job but then stopped trying to improve her skills and learn new ones. The other staff people around her were drowning in work, but she just sat there waiting for the phone to ring.

That reminded me of Alice, a receptionist I worked with, who couldn't be kept busy enough! She begged for work and learned about every aspect of the company. By keeping busy and productive and expanding her knowledge, she became a prime candidate for advancement in the company.

Unless you take the lead as Alice did, you will never rise in the company ranks. And chances are that, if you obtain training for just the minimum qualifications and never try to broaden your skills or knowledge, you will not get the job in the first place.

Serious about your career? Check the following articles about intentional learning for your career.
eSight Trend Watch: New Landscape for Learning
These three articles lay out a major shift taking place in today's learning landscape: global certification for a growing number of jobs. What does that mean for those of us in the blind community?

Pros and Cons of Distance Learning for Students Who Are Visually Impaired
E-learning (courses taught via the Internet) is growing fast and, with some careful research, can be a real boon to blind or visually impaired people as they prepare for careers.
DO-IT CAREERS Blends Degree Program With Proven Skills
The DO-IT CAREERS Program at the University of Washington may be on the edge of a new trend in learning as it seeks to blend a college degree with proven skills for students with disabilities. I talked to Sara Lopez about the DO-IT CAREERS Program.
Hospitality Industry Says "Welcome In!" to Disabled Workers
The hospitality industry is booming, and the National Statler Center for Careers in Hospitality Service is positioning blind and visually employees for plum travel-sector jobs.