[nfbwatlk] Interesting Take on Saramago's Book "Blindness"

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Tue Jan 20 00:13:03 UTC 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "tribble" <lauraeaves at yahoo.com>
<gui-talk at NFBnet.org>
Sent: Monday, January 19, 2009 3:09 PM
Subject: [gui-talk] book impressions

Hi all --
I finally picked up and finished the book "Blindness".  My opinion after
listening to the last half of the book is that I agree with the NFB's
assessment and condemnation of the story. I'm all for allegory and
artistic
use of metaphore, but this book I thought crossed the line into mean
spirited defamation of blind persons in general.  It was also a bit
pornographic in parts, which would offend some readers.
At the end, after they all get their sight back, there was one
interesting
comment.  The doctor, whose wife was the only sighted person in the
compound, asks,
Do you want me to tell you what I think, Yes, do, I don't think we did
go
blind, I think we are blind, Blind but seeing, Blind people who can see,
but
do not see.

This came the closest to being profound of anything in the book.
Anyway, the only positive about the book was that it was written well
and
fast moving.  It's too bad such a talented author couldn't find better
subject matter to write about.
My 2 cents. Anyone else waste their time reading it?
--le