[nfbwatlk] Fw: [NFBAffiliatePresidents] Obituary for Dick Edlund

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Fri Jan 9 03:48:51 UTC 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gary Wunder" <gwunder at earthlink.net>
To: "State Presidents" <nfbaffiliatepresidents at nfbnet.org>; "nfbmo list"
<nfbmo at nfbnet.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 08, 2009 8:44 AM
Subject: [NFBAffiliatePresidents] Obituary for Dick Edlund

Richard J. "Dick" Edlund Sr.

Richard J. "Dick" Edlund, Sr. made his transition on Jan. 6, 2009 at the
age of 84. Dick was born in Kansas City, KS, and lived in the area all
his life. Dick and his father owned and operated Edlund's Hardware in
Muncie (now Kansas City, KS). He was Commissioner at Large for the old
Kaw Council (now Heart of America) of the Boy Scouts of America, owned
and operated a small airport west of Kansas City, and owned several
airplanes. Blind since his teen years, he sought dignity, mobility, and
equal pay for blind people everywhere. He served on the board of
directors, as Treasurer, and as a troubleshooter and union organizer for
the National Federation of the Blind. He was past-president of the
National Federation of the Blind of Kansas. Dick was a Mason and member
of Delaware Lodge No. 96, Kansas City, KS. Dick served several terms as
a legislator in the Kansas House of Representatives 33rd District. After
retirement, he traveled to the UK, France, Belgium, Portugal, and Argent
 ina. Dick was ready to go anywhere, any time on a moment's notice. Dick
is survived by his companion Pompilia Mahoney, son Richard John Edlund,
Jr. (Barb Lisher), grand children Alisha and Shannon Griswold, and three
stepsons, Jack, Jim, and Mike Miller. He was predeceased by his father
Earl Edwin Edlund, mother Mary DeKeyser Edlund, first wife Doris Grayce
Stempges O'Diorne, and second wife, Eileen Miller Edlund. Celebration of
Life service will be 1:00 p.m. FEB 21, 2009 at Unity Church of Overland
Park, 10300 Antioch, Overland Park, KS (reception following). No
flowers, please. Donate instead in Dick's memory to K.C. Hospice House
or the National Federation of the Blind. Send pictures and stories to
EdlundRJ at gmail.com. In his own words, "I've had a pretty good run". Or,
as Winston Churchill said, "I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my
Maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter."