[nfbwatlk] Mariners Notebook: Fearless Corcoran may get a chance as closer

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sun Feb 22 15:00:59 UTC 2009

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/baseball/400937_mbok21.html

Mariners Notebook: Fearless Corcoran may get a chance as closer
Upbeat reliever could be in mix to replace Putz

Last updated February 20, 2009 10:38 p.m. PT

By JOHN HICKEY
P-I REPORTER

PEORIA, Ariz. -- The Mariners have at least five candidates for closer
after J.J. Putz was traded to the New York Mets.

At least four of them are going to be disappointed.

Not matter which way things go, however, don't expect Roy Corcoran to be
downcast, win or lose.

Corcoran is as upbeat and energetic as anyone. In a series of one-on-one
interviews with his pitchers, manager Don Wakamatsu asked each if they
were particularly close to any of the other players.

"About 14 of them said 'Corcoran,' " Wakamatsu said Friday afternoon,
laughing at the recollection.

During a chat with Corcoran, pitching coach Rick Adair and bullpen coach
John Wetteland, Wakamatsu said the reliever "had us laughing so hard we
couldn't ask our questions."

This is a guy who has everybody thinking in a positive and upbeat
manner -- unless you are an opposing hitter.

"He backs down from nobody," Putz said in praise of Corcoran. "He has no
fear."

For that attribute, Corcoran credits life with his brother, Tim, also a
big league pitcher. Roy Corcoran, a Louisiana native, is 5 feet 10 and
185 pounds. His brother is two years older, 4 inches taller and 20
pounds heavier.

"He's the athlete in the family," Corcoran said. "You look at him and
you think, 'This guy's a baseball player.' "

And when you look at Roy?

"I'm just a little guy; I look like a bull rider," Corcoran said,
breaking into a trademark grin.

And he comes with a bull rider's willingness to stare down fear.

"I learned a long time ago that I don't have an intimidating look,"
Corcoran said. "But I know there are no friends between the lines."

It was that attitude that got Corcoran to the big leagues last year with
Seattle, going 6-2 with a 3.22 ERA in 30 games. He began as a middle
reliever but wound up saving three games. When Putz left, he nominated
Corcoran as someone the Mariners could turn to as a closer.

And Wakamatsu is considering it. Mark Lowe, Miguel Batista, Tyler Walker
and perhaps David Aardsma could be closers. He is considering Corcoran,
too, although Brandon Morrow could steal the job after subbing for Putz
last year.

"Roy's a candidate," Wakamatsu said. "He's definitely in the mix, and
we'll look at him that way this spring."

Not bad for a guy who basically kicked around the fringes of baseball
before last year.

"They did more than give me a chance," Corcoran said. "They gave me
confidence."

EXTRA BASES: Reliever Tyler Walker shut things down for the day after he
felt some tightness in his right quad during workouts Friday. He's
listed as day-to-day. ... First baseman Russell Branyan was held out of
Friday's work after coming down with minor back pain. ... Shortstop
Yuniesky Betancourt should be back on the field this weekend after
missing time with some minor hamstring trouble.

© 1998-2009 Seattle Post-Intelligencer