[nfbwatlk] Talk Show Last Night

Thu Dec 10 17:00:34 UTC 2009

Hello Listers,

Last night, Mary Mohrman and I co-hosted a talk show which was slated to
be an "open mic" show.  But, given the breaking news from Olympia with
Governor Gregoire's new budget proposal yesterday, we were able to get
Dr. Stenehjem to call in (on short notice) to explain a bit about what's
happening at the school for the blind.  He says that the governor's
proposed budget actually is an attempt to realign the education programs
in the State, and to put WSSB under the Office of the Superintendent of
Public Instruction (OSPI.)  Asked whether this would save the state
money, he said he was uncertain about any actual savings that might be
involved.  There will be many questions to be explored in the coming
weeks, and the current superintendent of public instruction, Randy Dorn
will be touring the school soon, according to Dr. Stenehjem.

The hour was pretty much devoted to the budget and proposed cuts to
state services to blind people.  President Freeman called in to pledge
our support to the school, and to let the audience know we are proactive
in this whole budget push.

As Kris Colcock pointed out last evening, we should also be extremely
concerned about proposed direction for DSB, and as details are fleshed
out, we'll be working on that issue too.

The WCB is on board as well, and Sue Ammeter and Cindy Van winkle, the
chair of the state Advisory council for DSB also called in.  If you want
to listen to the show, it can be found on-line soon at
http://www.wtbbl.org <http://www.wtbbl.org/>  , or listen to the
rebroadcast on Sunday evening at 6:00 on the Evergreen Radio Reading
Service.

/s/

Bennett Prows