[nfbwatlk] Coin Toss at the Civil War Game!!!

Renee Squier squierr at comcast.net
Sat Dec 5 03:48:38 UTC 2009

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:

Chris Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2330

(410) 262-1281 (Cell)

cdanielsen at nfb.org

National Federation of the Blind Announces
University of Oregon Will Use Braille Coin in Coin Toss
Louis Braille Bicentennial Silver Dollar
 Will Be Used in Coin Toss at Civil War Game

Eugene, Oregon (December 2, 2009): The National Federation of the Blind, the
nation's leading advocate for Braille, is pleased to announce that the
University of Oregon will use a 2009 Louis Braille Bicentennial Silver
Dollar in the coin toss at the Civil War football game on Thursday, December
3.  The renowned Oregon Ducks, who are currently ranked at number 7 in the
Associated Press Poll, will host in Eugene the Oregon State Beavers in their
annual Civil War.  For the first time in the 113-year history of the Civil
War, the game will decide the PAC-10 championship and the winner will go on
to play in the Rose Bowl. Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the National
Federation of the Blind, said: "We are pleased that University of Oregon is
recognizing the critical importance of Braille literacy for the blind in a
fun and exciting way by including the Louis Braille Bicentennial Silver
Dollar in the prestigious Civil War football game on December 3.  There can
be no doubt that the ability to read and write Braille competently and
efficiently is the key to education, employment, and success for the blind;
yet only one in ten blind children in the United States are currently
learning it.  We are asking all Oregon college football fans and all other
Americans to help us in ensuring literacy, education, productivity, and
success for every blind American by purchasing a 2009 Louis Braille
Bicentennial Silver Dollar today."

Congress authorized the minting in 2009 of 400,000 Louis Braille
Bicentennial Silver Dollars to mark the two-hundredth anniversary of the
birth of Louis Braille (1809-1852)

National Federation of the Blind Announces
University of Oregon Will Use Braille Coin in Coin Toss
December 2, 2009

Page two

and to support the efforts of the National Federation of the Blind to
promote literacy among blind Americans.  This unique and beautiful
commemorative coin is the first U.S. currency to feature tactile, readable
Braille.

A portion of the proceeds from sales of the 2009 Louis Braille Bicentennial
Silver Dollar  will be used to support the NFB's "Braille Readers are
Leaders" campaign, a national initiative created to double the number of
blind children learning Braille by 2015, improve certification standards for
teachers of Braille, and conduct innovative programs to support Braille
literacy.

Those interested in ordering a 2009 Louis Braille Bicentennial Silver Dollar
or the new Braille Education Set, which features the coin in a collectible
folder designed to highlight the life and legacy of Louis Braille, should
visit www.braille.org or www.usmint.gov or call 1-800-USA-MINT (872-6468).
The Louis Braille Bicentennial Silver Dollar and the Braille Education Set
will only be available until December 11, 2009.  For more information about
the National Federation of the Blind and the Braille Readers are Leaders
campaign, visit www.braille.org.

This is a corrected version of a press release issued earlier today by the
National Federation of the Blind. This version should be referenced in any
news items about the coin toss.

###

With more than 50,000 members, the National Federation of the Blind is the
largest and most influential membership organization of blind people in the
United States.  The NFB improves blind people's lives through advocacy,
education, research, technology, and programs encouraging independence and
self-confidence.  It is the leading force in the blindness field today and
the voice of the nation's blind.  In January 2004 the NFB opened the
National Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute, the first research and
training center in the United States for the blind led by the blind.