[nfbwatlk] FW: [Wcb-l] Legislative Alert

Alco Canfield amcanfield at comcast.net
Tue Apr 28 02:03:20 UTC 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: Sue Ammeter <sue.ammeter at cablespeed.com>
Sent: Monday, April 27, 2009 5:55 PM
To: wcb-l at wcbinfo.org; presidents at wcbinfo.org
Subject: [Wcb-l] Legislative Alert

As you know, the Senate and House adopted the 2009-11 state operating budget
this past weekend and it has been sent to Governor Gregoire for her
signature.  Today I spoke with LouOma Durand, Danielle King and Dean
Stenehjem to determine how the operating budget will impact our programs and
services.

The School for the Blind took a hit of 4.8% (around $621,000).  This
reduction will have the following impact on WSSB: elimination of the
Eastside Regional Project: the TBVI position is being transferred to
outreach contracted services; elimination of one teacher aide position;
reduction in contracted mental health services; and elimination of all
summer school programs: including Summer School, YES I, Sports Camp, etc.
Dean will be looking for grant funding in order to try and offset these
cuts.

WTBBL and the Washington State Library did not fair as badly in this budget
process as we once had feared.  There are two provisos in the Secretary of
State's budget: one says that we will not reduce WTBBL services below the
2008 budget level; and the other is that the Secretary of State will make
the Elections Division a priority.  State Librarian Jan Walsh will be
meeting with management staff tomorrow to determine exactly what cuts we
might anticipate for the next biennium so stay tuned!

LouOma and her staff are still evaluating the impact of the operating budget
on their services and programs but it appears that the budget cuts are not
as severe as we had first heard.  This news along with the stimulus funding
should help quite a bit in their efforts to serve their customers.  Of
course we are delighted that the residential component of the Orientation
and Training Center will continue in operation.  Last week we heard that
Governor Gregoire had asked the Legislature to revive SB5995 which would
have abolished or suspended many boards and commissions including the State
Rehabilitation Council (SRC).  Fortunately, SB5995 was amended and the SRC
did not go on the chopping block.

The Legislative Committee wants to thank all of you who made phone calls or
sent emails to your Legislators during this very difficult budget time.  I
believe that our efforts did make a difference!