[nfbwatlk] Fw: travel alert

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Tue Apr 7 04:13:42 UTC 2009

The following appeared on the WCB list:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Randy Tedrow" <rbtedrow at comcast.net>
To: <wcb-l at wcbinfo.org>
Sent: Saturday, April 04, 2009 8:36 PM
Subject: [Wcb-l] travel alert

Below is pasted information I received from Jim Eccles. I am sending it
the WCB list as general information for those who travel to the
Vancouver,
WA area. Jim initially left information on the WCB's 1-800 number.

Randy Tedrow
Chair, List Serve Committee
===

For your information:  The Vancouver, Washington Greyhound bus depot has
been closed.

Unfortunately, Greyhound's automated fare and schedule information
number
lists Sunnyside, Washington as the alternate ticketing destination and
says
that this depot, located at the Outpost, is only seven miles away.

On the contrary of course, Sunnyside is some 186 miles and three hours'
drive away from the Vancouver depot, according to the mileage figure
obtained from the MapPoint software on the TellMe telephone voice
portal's
Business Search category--not seven miles away, as indicated by
Greyhound.

Portland is the obvious, alternate destination station--although I,
personally, would not want to be hanging around that particular part of
northwest Portland for any great length of time, myself, so I'd be
making
sure I knew the route to the nearest current city bus stop or that I had
ride meeting me immediately upon my arrival there.

The Vancouver mayor's office thought there was a designated stop
location
somewhere in downtown Vancouver; but was not sure where that is; and
getting
to knowledgeable humans at Greyhound's alternate Customer Assistance
number
to find out such non-standard information (where do you stop when you
don't
have a station) is a more time-consuming process than my current travel
needs warrant spending.

At some point if this station-loss pattern continues and spreads, our
organization, at either the state or national level, may need to get
involved in this as a generic advocacy issue, as more and more
destinations
get harder and harder to travel to without benefit of a driver
available.

Jim Eccles