[nfbwatlk] Screenless Phone

Freeman,Mike - TOSD-DITT-2 jmfreeman at bpa.gov
Tue Nov 18 22:43:56 UTC 2008

Hi, all.

Connie forwarded me the inquiry re the Screenless Phone, that is, the
Oasys 22C.

Lark has one; she's in the Fifth Year program at WSSB. She likes it.
However, the people at the IBTC say it's overpriced for what you get and
in speaker-mode, there is quite an echo. so the IBTC doesn't recommend
it. However, one must remember that the IBTC consists of a bunch of
geeks so their recommendations, while valid, should be taken with a
grain of salt.

but it is true that for the price you'd pay, you'll get more out of one
of the Nokia phones. It is also true that T-mobile has one of the bundle
deals with the 22C sorta like that for the KNFB Reader Mobile but I
doubt you (Noel) would get the discount as you are already a T-mobile
subscriber.

Final word: I can't figure out how Lark got her phone. When I looked
into the 22C this last summer, I was going to purchase one but the
people marketing the phone in the U.S. neither returned my phone calls
nor my emails.

Bottom line: there's some good and some not-so-good about the 22C.

Mike Freeman