[nfbwatlk] Fw: Transportation Victories, November Friday Forum and More

Jacob Struiksma lawnmower84 at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 6 02:30:42 UTC 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: Shefali Ranganathan
To: jacobstruiksma at gmail.com
Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 4:08 PM
Subject: Transportation Victories, November Friday Forum and More

      And the WINNER is.....Smart Transportation Alternatives

      Voters Say a Resounding Yes to More Transit, Reject Eyman Traffic Measure
      Today is a historic day for the environment and residents of King, Pierce, and Snohomish Counties. The passage of Proposition 1, a transit-only package which includes immediate increases in Sound Transit Express bus service, expansion of Sounder commuter rail service and 36 miles of new Link light rail will fundamentally change how this generation and future ones will travel in this region.  Voters also chose to reject Initiative 985 which would have increased congestion, compromised transit service and taken money away from schools, health care, and law enforcement.

      "Proposition 1 is a groundbreaking expansion of transit with immediate solutions for today's demand while building for the future," said Jessyn Farrell, Executive Director of Transportation Choices Coalition. "Voters have spoken loud and clear. They want more transit solutions to help ease congestion, bring relief from high gas prices and combat climate change."

      The mass transit package offers immediate relief from high gas prices and gridlock with 17% increases in Express bus service in 2009, with enhanced service throughout the region as well as a 65% increase in Sounder Commuter Rail between Seattle and Tacoma including 4 new round-trips, longer trains and more seats. The package builds for the future with an investment in light rail including 36 miles of light rail expanded from Downtown Seattle to Bellevue and Redmond, from Sea-Tac Airport south to Federal Way, and from UW north to Lynnwood.  "With this investment we have turned the page on how we plan for growth in this region.  When complete, this system will serve 70 percent of the residents and 85 percent of the jobs in this region, giving people choices to leave their cars at home," added Farrell.

      With the passage of Proposition 1 and the rejection of Initiative 985, Puget Sound residents have shown that they want common sense solutions that reduce congestion, protect the environment and improve the economy.  Transportation Choices Coalition played a leading role in passing Proposition 1 and defeating Initiative 985.  Since 2001, Transportation Choices Coalition has worked with partners to help secure $25 billion for investments in transportation alternatives statewide and locally.

      Thank You! to all our members, volunteers and supporters who made these victories possible.  You have changed the way this region moves!

      FRIDAY FORUM: 520 Replacement Design - Can We Bridge the Differences
      Everyone knows that the 45-year old 520 Bridge needs replacing.  What you may not know is that there are vastly different design ideas on the table for its replacement.  Join neighborhood activists Virginia Gunby and Jonathan Dubman for a spirited discussion as they present their ideas (Plan A and Plan K) for the ideal replacement design.

      But before we dive into the design debate, we'll have the opportunity to learn from Barbara Wright, with Seattle and King County Public Health and Paul Carr, Puget Sound Clean Air Agency about the recently completed 520 Health Impact Assessment. This groundbreaking health impact assessment is the first of its kind in the country for a megaproject. Read the report and find out how this assessment can help build a bridge to a healthier community.

      WHAT: 520 discussion with Virginia Gunby, Jonathan Dubman, Barbara Wright and Paul Carr
      WHEN: Friday November 7, 12:00pm - 1:30pm
      WHERE: Seattle and King County Public Health Building, 401 5th Ave., Room 115 (first floor)

      Join us for a great conversation and as always, feel free to bring your lunch!
      Thank you to our sponsors of the Friday Forum Series
      PLATINUM
      Vulcan Inc.

      GOLD
      CH2M Hill
      The Boeing Company
      HDR Inc.

      SILVER
      Jacobs and Associates | IBI Group | HNTB Corporation | Parsons Brinckerhoff
      Bricklin Newman Dold | Christian Sinderman

      SOUND OFF ON TOLLS
      If you missed the first round of tolling open houses, you still have a chance to speak up.  There will be a series of additional open houses to hear what the public thinks about tolling the existing and new SR-520 bridges as well as potentially the I-90 bridge. Public input will help determine how and when these tolls will be implemented.  So this is your opportunity to weigh in on how tolls are implemented, what it pays for, and how it should work.

      Here are some questions that you can provide input on:

        a.. Are the toll rates reasonable?
        b.. Is variable tolling appropriate for 520 and 90?
        c.. How will electronic tolling - no tollbooths - work for you?
        d.. Does getting started early with tolling make sense from a financial perspective?
        e.. How should we consider tolling 90?
        f.. Should tolls pay for more transit service to give people who don't want to or can't afford to pay the tolls, more options?
      Open House Schedule - All meetings run from 3:00 - 7:00pm with a presentation at 5:00 pm

      Wednesday, November 12

      Bellevue City Hall

      Thursday, November 13

      University of Washington - Gould Hall

      Monday, November 17
      Stroum Jewish Community Center (Mercer Island)

      For more information on tolling and the 520 project, visit http://www.build520.org/index.htm

      Cheers!
      Shefali Ranganathan
      Director of Education and Outreach
      Transportation Choices Coalition
      811 1st Avenue, Suite 626
      Seattle, WA 98104
      Phone: 206.329.2336
      Fax: 206.329.2705
      www.transportationchoices.org
      Are you getting emails for events in Seattle when you live in Spokane? We may not have your correct address and phone number on file! If you have moved or just aren't sure if we have your current contact information, please email shefali at transportationchoices.org. We strive to provide you with only the most pertinent information - from your city, your county, and your legislative district - so please let us know if you're getting emails from another area!

      We respect the personal nature of email communication. Every effort is made to offer only information on pressing transportation issues and involvement opportunities. If you prefer not to receive emails from Transportation Choices Coalition, please click here to unsubscribe. If you do not currently get our email Action Alerts, please subscribe on our website www.transportationchoices.org.