[nfbwatlk] Fw: Sound Transit CEO Report

Jacob Struiksma lawnmower84 at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 4 20:52:33 UTC 2008

Sound Transit CEO Report
----- Original Message -----
From: Sound Transit
To: lawnmower84 at hotmail.com
Sent: Friday, October 31, 2008 2:54 PM
Subject: Sound Transit CEO Report

      CEO Report

      From Joni Earl
     Oct. 31, 2008
      In this edition
        a.. Third quarter ridership up on Sound Transit trains, buses

        b.. Totem Lake Transit Center dedicated Wednesday

        c.. Rail-Volution conference earlier this week

        d.. Seahawks Sounder service Sunday

        e.. Photo of the Week

      Third quarter ridership up on Sound Transit trains, buses

      Third quarter numbers show continued big increases in Sound Transit ridership. For example, our ST Express bus ridership was up 22 percent in the third quarter, compared with the same time a year earlier.

      Sounder commuter trains also showed big gains. The north line between Everett and Seattle was up 38 percent, with the south line between Tacoma and Seattle up 24 percent. Tacoma Link was also up 5 percent from a year earlier.

      Overall, our trains and buses now carry almost 60,000 every weekday.

      Totem Lake Transit Center Dedication and  Open House Wednesday

      More than 200 people, including several dignitaries, were in Kirkland on Wednesday to help dedicate the new Totem Lake Transit Center. Mary-Alyce Burleigh, Kirkland Councilmember and Sound Transit Boardmember, was master of ceremonies.

      Sound Transit, Evergreen Healthcare, Metro Transit, and the City of Kirkland all helped celebrate the new transit center. Totem Lake Transit Center was made possible through a partnership between Sound Transit and Evergreen Healthcare. Steven Brown, CEO of Evergreen Healthcare, was instrumental in making the project happen. The transit center is integrated into the design of Evergreen Healthcare's newly constructed DeYoung Pavilion building on the southwest corner of the Kirkland hospital campus.

      Last Saturday, King County Metro buses began rolling out of the new transit center, which includes six bus bays with sheltered passenger waiting areas and bus layover space. Improvements were also made to the intersection of 120th Avenue Northeast and Northeast 128th Street to give buses and pedestrians safe and easy access to the facility.

      Rail-Volution Conference this week

      Earlier this week I was in San Francisco participating in two sessions at Rail-Volution, which is a national conference for transit industry professionals, local governments, community representatives and private sector developers focused on transit-oriented development, public-private partnerships and sharing of best practices.

      On Tuesday, I moderated a panel discussion on how transit agencies can implement and manage environmental sustainability programs. On Wednesday, I was part of a panel that explored the qualities that mark livable communities, including the important role that transit plays. In my comments, I featured Kent Station, the Rainier Valley, the future Capitol Hill light rail station and the Federal Way Transit Center/Korean Women's Association development.

      It was a very good conference.

      Seahawks Sounder train on Sunday

      A quick reminder that Seahawks Sounder trains will run on Sunday to King Street Station near Qwest Field. Trains will leave from Tacoma and Everett, with regular stops in between. ST Express regional buses also offer service to all games at Qwest Field from most major cities and neighborhoods in the region.

      For times and more information see http://www.soundtransit.org/x9020.xml.

      Also, a reminder that Link light rail train testing is ongoing this Sunday. Our "Safe & Sound" safety efforts continue to emphasize the need to always look both ways, obey all signals and warning signs, cross only at designated crosswalks and never play around tracks or trains.

      Photo of the Week

      Our photo this week shows the recent dedication ceremony at the Totem Lake Transit Center.  http://www.soundtransit.org/newsroom/photo/.