[nfbwatlk] Fw: [Nfbc-info] FW: Fort Worth reporter comments ondiscrimination fromher perspective.

blindjedi at clearwire.net blindjedi at clearwire.net
Wed Dec 17 08:11:44 UTC 2008

That's really interesting. I don't know how many of you check on the
NABS list, but there's been some interesting back and forth on the
issue of the SNL skit. The general consensus seems to be that the
NFB's press release was a little over the top in criticising SNL for
the Paterson skit. In general, it sounds like most on the NABS list
feel we've got bigger problems and that equality sometimes means
getting made fun of just like anyone else. In general most people on
NABS list who have commented seem to think that the skit was more
directed toward Paterson's personal life than his blindness. As for
me, I disagree. I think that the skit, in light of "blindness," didn't
help our situation much. The skit did show the blind Paterson as a bit
of an idiot. While blindness wasn't the key factor gaining attention
in the skit, it certainly added to what could be called their picture
of Paterson's incompetence all around. Most of the blindness jokes
were visually based; he was groping and disoriented, and he apparently
squinted a lot. The upside down graph and the joke about disabled
people being a little off was more or less a small part of the jokes
made toward the disabled. While I doubt any serious harm was meant by
the skit (just as with "Blindness"), it certainly isn't going to help
matters for the blind any time soon. In order for something to be
perceived as funny, the viewer of the comedy has to believe somewhere
that there's some truth to the joke.

--
Respectfully,
Jedi