[Nfbnet-members-list] Urgent Action Needed: Final Push to Get Space Available Passed in the Senate!

President, National Federation of the Blind OfficeOfThePresident at nfb.org
Wed Jun 1 19:30:24 UTC 2016

Fellow Federationists:

Last week, Senator Heller from Nevada introduced an amendment to the
Senate's version of the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) to
include the same Space Available language that you already helped
pass in the House NDAA last month. This is the first time we've ever
been able to get an amendment for Space Available introduced in the
Senate. This amendment currently has two cosponsors, Senators Tester
from Montana and Ayotte from New Hampshire, but we need more support.

Please call your senators and urge them to cosponsor amendment S.A.
4235 to the Senate NDAA so that all veterans with disabilities rated
as total can participate in the Space Available Program, not just
those injured on or after September 23, 1996. We expect the Senate to
begin debating the NDAA next week so time is of the essence for us to
build support for our legislation. If we can get this amendment
through the Senate, we will only need a signature from the President
to end the disparate treatment of our courageous vets in the Space
Available Program based on which war they fought in.

The US Capitol switchboard number is <tel:(202)%20224-3121>(202)
224-3121. The fact sheet is available
at:<https://nfb.org/equal-access-air-travel-service-disabled-veterans>https://nfb.org/equal-access-air-travel-service-disabled-veterans.
If you have any questions, feel free to email or call Derek Manners,
Advocacy and Policy Analyst,
at<mailto:DManners at nfb.org>DManners at nfb.org or
<tel:(410)%20659-9314>(410) 659-9314, extension 2210.

Please share this message widely throughout the Federation.

Thank you for all that you do.

Mark A. Riccobono, President
National Federation of the Blind
200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place
Baltimore, Maryland 21230
Phone: (410) 659-9314
Fax: (410) 659-5129
Email: <mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org>officeofthepresident at nfb.org
Twitter: @Riccobono and @NFB_Voice
Web: <http://www.nfb.org/>www.nfb.org

the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create
obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life
you want; blindness is not what holds you back.