[Nfbnet-members-list] National Federation of the Blind and Verifone Collaborate to Make Taxicab Terminals Accessible

Kuhnke, Kristian KKuhnke at nfb.org
Mon Jul 20 16:23:15 UTC 2015

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:
Chris Danielsen
Director of Public Relations
National Federation of the Blind
(410) 659-9314, extension 2330
(410) 262-1281 (Cell)
<mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>cdanielsen at nfb.org

National Federation of the Blind and Verifone
Collaborate to Make Taxicab Terminals Accessible

Baltimore, Maryland (July 20, 2015): <http://www.nfb.org/>The
National Federation of the Blind (NFB), the nation's leading advocate
for accessible technology, and Verifone will work together to enhance
the accessibility of Verifone's in-taxi technology for blind
passengers by the end of this year, under an agreement that was
recently reached by the two organizations. Verifone's in-taxi systems
enable passengers to pay their cab fare with a credit or debit card
and enjoy curated media content during taxi rides.

Currently, blind passengers can use the terminals by tapping the
center of the screen to initiate an accessibility mode, which uses
voice prompts to provide information about the fare and to guide the
user through the payment process. Planned accessibility enhancements
will include voicing information about the taxi's then-current
location, as well as other improvements to the user interface.
Additionally, Verifone and NFB will discuss the feasibility of making
other new features accessible if and when they are introduced.

Mark A. Riccobono, President of the National Federation of the Blind,
said: "Verifone has already done outstanding work to make its taxicab
units accessible to blind passengers, and we are delighted to work
with the company to improve the user experience even more. We commend
Verifone for working with blind users to improve its systems and look
forward to helping this great company set an even higher standard for
accessibility in the taxicab industry."

Amos Tamam, Senior Vice President of Taxi Systems for Verifone said:
"We are committed to providing a great experience for all users of
our technology. We are delighted to work with the National Federation
of the Blind to make sure that our systems are usable and accessible
to blind taxicab passengers."

The NFB raised its accessibility concerns to Verifone, and the
parties quickly began effective collaboration to resolve these
concerns. The negotiations were facilitated on behalf of the NFB by
the law firms of LaBarre Law Offices; TRE Legal; Clark, Hunt, Ahern &
Embry; and Disability Rights Advocates.

###

the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create
obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life
you want; blindness is not what holds you back.