[Nfbnet-members-list] NFB Imagineering Our Future: Special Refresh the 2011 Youth Slam Issue

Miller, Pat Woelfer PMiller at nfb.org
Sun Aug 15 01:16:03 UTC 2010

Graphic Logo: NFB Jernigan Institute
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=LUc-epL-muAlyFgjmWERYA..>
View this newsletter as HTML in your browser.
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=nwsTXwO8pDydLMEHMZ0rnw..>View
previous newsletter.

Imagineering Our Future

      Refresh the 2011 Youth Slam Issue
August 2010

Special Message from the Executive Director

Dear Friends,

Graphic: Pepsi Do Some Good

Less than a minute of your time each day will create limitless
opportunities for blind youth! Text 101913 to PEPSI (73774), or visit
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=NNOesXecQai_DLAATJiZ1g..>www.refresheverything.com/nfbyouthslam
to vote for the 2011 NFB Youth Slam in the Pepsi Refresh project
every day in August. Your votes can help the NFB win a grant of
$250,000. Below is a personal reflection from Mika Baugh, a
participant, a mentor, and now a young college student realizing her
potential for success in the sciences and beyond.

Thank you,
Graphic: Signature of Mark Riccobono

Mark A. Riccobono, Executive Director, NFB Jernigan Institute

[]

Confessions of a Youth Slammer

Blind students can participate actively in science classes along with
their sighted peers, and blind adults can pursue careers in the same
science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) fields as their
sighted counterparts. We in the NFB have accepted and embraced these
truths, and are working to ensure that others follow our lead.

Mika (in red mentor T-shirt) walks with mentees
Photo: Mika walks with mentees

I have a confession to make though; I didn't always believe that
blind people really could participate in STEM fields. I held a strong
belief that vision (even just a little) was necessary for quality
experiences in STEM subjects. I was a student participant in the 2007
Youth Slam, and my experience there shattered that notion! I not only
observed normal, average blind people excelling in STEM subjects, but
I experienced a week-long, hands-on demonstration! I have a whole new
perspective now, and was able to share it by returning to the 2009
Youth Slam, this time as a mentor. This summer I'm working with the
NFB through an internship. I don't know everything yet, but thanks to
the NFB, I do know this: I know I am capable. I know I am valuable. I
know I have something to offer.

You can help others like me to have a similar revelation, to realize
the unlimited possibilities that exist for blind youth of my
generation. Throughout the month of August, the 2011 NFB Youth Slam
will be eligible to receive votes toward a grant award of $250,000
from the Pepsi Refresh project. Much like its predecessors, the 2011
NFB Youth Slam will be a five-day, interactive STEM academy designed
to empower blind high school students to explore STEM subjects and
demonstrate that the blind can participate in the same fields as
their sighted peers. Voters with texting capabilities should text the
number 101913 to Pepsi (73774) in order to vote for the 2011 NFB
Youth Slam, once per day, throughout the month of August. For those
without the ability to text, please visit
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=m4Dj0gaIusd4Vl4PuQAT6Q..>www.refresheverything.com/nfbyouthslam
in order to log your vote each day. The two projects that receive the
most votes in the month of August will receive the award.    For
detailed instructions on how to vote online, visit
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=73kMdio3X7mJcD1tL82Kug..>www.nfb.org.

Tell your friends, family, church, social clubs to vote every day!
Post it on your Facebook account, Twitter, Blog, and get the word out
to support equality and opportunity for blind youth!

Sincerely,

Mika

[]

Thank you for reading the NFB Jernigan Institute's Imagineering Our Future

Photo: Blind student doing STEM work

Support the Jernigan Institute through the
<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=hX813sVTcuHH_z3y4ghh1g..>Imagination
Fund

Graphic Logo: National Federation of the Blind

<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=odgkxUOqE-zQKJn7AtZq_g..>National
Center for Blind Youth in Science

<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=mDOMA9HRkhuI32hZCFVQbg..>2009
Youth Slam video

<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=n0mz9k_oD3tiaJ8Ssvykug..>
2009 Youth Slam blog

<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=2HwhDdPhqGBV_2VqKbXglw..>
2009 Youth Slam Web page

<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=tRQS6D5Gl5wK_IxRmWVHHA..>2009
Youth Slam streaming audio

<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=Dg7shNewj-nmG1FwD5Ks9A..>
2007 Youth Slam video

<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=GO5MSDltHrkLYxqm0cVDFg..>2007
Youth Slam news blog

<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=EmJfsjRz4MKFQLD_TwNOfA..>2007
Youth Slam Web page

<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=qcacRzADbzHmOytXqX6H7g..>2007
Youth Slam news Web page

Photo: Blind girl examining model of constellations

Blind Teens Carry the 2007 Youth March for Independence Banner

Imagine a Future Full of Opportunity

[]

Jernigan Institute, National Federation of the Blind
200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place, Baltimore, MD 21230
(410) 659-9314      Fax (410) 659-5129      E-mail
<mailto:JerniganInstitute at nfb.org?subject=Reply%20to%20Imagineering%20Our%20Future>JerniganInstitute at nfb.org
Visit us at www.nfb.org

Better Business Bureau logo
 <http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=X2te59bvJhuH0rcW2WBpuw..>
American Institute of Philanthropy logo

The National Federation of the Blind meets the rigorous Standards for
Charity Accountability set forth by the BBB Wise Giving Alliance and
is Top-Rated by the American Institute of Philanthropy.

<http://www.raceforindependence.org/site/R?i=AoNVOUr-qogUi6Qw4oiIjA..>Forward
this newsletter.
If this issue was forwarded to you and you'd like to subscribe,
please e-mail
<mailto:JerniganInstitute at nfb.org?subject=Reply%20to%20Imagineering%20Our%20Future>JerniganInstitute at nfb.org.