This list is sponsored by the National Federation of the Blind, NFB, and the NFB of Louisiana.
This is the official list of the Louisiana Parents of Blind Children (LPOBC).
LPOBC is a statewide group of individuals dedicated to the education and advancement of children with visual impairments--whether blind, partially sighted, or having multiple disabilities including visual impairment. We are a division of the National Federation of the Blind, the largest organization of the blind in the country.
The purpose of the organization is:
• To create a climate of opportunity for blind/visually impaired children in home and society.
• To provide information and support to parents and teachers of blind/visually impaired children.
• To facilitate the sharing of experience and concerns among parents and teachers of blind/visually impaired children.
• To develop and expand resources available to parents and teachers of blind/visually impaired children.
• To help parents and teachers of blind/visually impaired children gain understanding and perspective through partnership and contact with blind/visually impaired adults.
• To function as an integral part of the National Federation of the Blind in its ongoing effort to eliminate discrimination and prejudice against the blind/visually impaired and to achieve for the blind/visually impaired security, equality, and opportunity.
LPOBC works together with the Louisiana Center for the Blind, the National Federation of the Blind of Louisiana affiliate, and the National Organization of Parents of Blind Children to provide yearly seminars focusing on education of our blind/visually impaired children; to provide contact with other families of blind/visually impaired children; to provide contact with blind/visually impaired adults to serve as positive role models; to serve as a source of information to help families gain understanding and perspective; and to promote the use of the white cane and braille.
The list Moderator is: Alison Tarver. Her email is
If you have technical problems, please contact David Andrews at:
To see the collection of prior postings to the list,
visit the LPOBC
Subscribe to LPOBC by filling out the following
You will be sent email requesting confirmation, to
prevent others from gratuitously subscribing you. This is a private list, which means that the
list of members is not available to non-members.