[NFBWATlk] NFBO / W Bell Academy gathering tonight at 7pm

Kris Colcock kris at colcock.com
Wed Apr 17 01:53:43 UTC 2024

Hello All,

Thank you to those who were able to make last night's meeting. We had a
great meeting even though I was scattered and Carla had to keep me on task!
:)

Highlights from the meeting:
1. In Person Training will be May 31 - June 2. If you live in the Vancouver
area or Portland area please plan to commute. Reimbursement is available
from the affiliates as needed. If it is needed, please contact myself for
Washington, Justin and Carla for Oregon.

For those from out of town and needing lodging; Oregon people need to talk
to Carla dn Justin. Washington people come talk to me. We have three
bedrooms on campus for that weekend. Othere arrangements can be made if
needed. Most important time is Saturday from 9am - 6pm and Sunday from 9am
- noon. We will be getting into program specific items.

Who should attend: Any volunteer planning to stay on campus, helping
directly with the students.
Who doesn't need to attend: Those offering support services outside of the
academy dates and times, volunteers who are going to help prepare the site
or clean up exclusively.
Basically if you are going to be there when the kids are there and
interacting with the kids directly do your best to be at the training.
Otherwise keep coming to the meetings as you can.

@. Fund Raising: Andrea has secured a $500 grant from her church to help
with the Bell Academy. The WA State Department of Services for the Blind is
providing $300 for T shirts and so on. Let's keep bringing in the donations
as they arise.

3. Activities during the academy. As part of our academy, Alex Zimmerman is
talking to the wood shop volunteers on the WSSB campus. We may be able to
swing a one or two day project for our students. Stay tuned.

4. oug Trimble has agreed to offer O and M activities with out students
Tuesday thru Thursday in the afternoon. Again, exciting! We truly
appreciate you Doug!

Things are getting busier and the bells are ringing louder. We currntly
have 5 students confirmed. Please continue to spread the word and help our
students sign up for what is ramping up to be a wonderful week of learning
and fun!

Kris