[NFBWATlk] planning the next NFB of Washington State Convention

Marci Carpenter mjc59 at comcast.net
Wed Mar 8 05:51:30 UTC 2023

Hi Humberto,

A few weeks ago I posted an email to all of our lists explaining that we were thinking about making this change and asking for feedback from people. The feedback we received was very positive. I also spoke about this at the last Grader Seattle Chapter meeting which I know you were unable to attend. That said, I probably should’ve posted an update before Corey sent out his announcement. I’ve been helping Raymond recover from surgery so I’m a little off my game.

The NFBW board of directors discussed the change and what we need to do to comply with our constitution. We are planning a leadership seminar for this fall. This will take place over a weekend and will involve Chapter board members, student division board members and other leaders who may not currently hold office. This will take place over a weekend. On the Sunday morning of that weekend we will hold an Annual Business Meeting. All members of the NFB of Washington will be invited to attend that meeting. At that time we will elect the two board positions we need to elect this year. This will not be a convention in that there will not be any outside speakers or exhibitors. In March of 2024 we will hold our regular annual convention and future conventions will be held in the spring of each year after that.

As I had explained in my previous email time constraints required that the board take this action now.  More and more hotels are booking conventions like ours a full year ahead of time. We were also finding it impossible to get convention hotel room rates which our members could afford in the fall.

I’m happy to discuss this further if you or others have more questions.

Thank you for raising this important question,

Marci Carpenter, President
National Federation of the Blind of Washington
206-604-5507
mjc59 at comcast.net