[NFBWATlk] Reminder About Upcoming February Seattle Chapter Meeting!

Jessie Lorenz jessie.lorenz at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 13:33:26 UTC 2023

Greeting Federation Family,
Sadly, Jean and I have tested positive for Coved, so we will not be
with you today in-person.
Here are my rough notes from last month’s meeting:
January 28, 2023
The meeting took place at Razzi’s  and was called to order by
President Portillo.

Tom Hewitt the New ADA Coordinator for SDOT spoke to the chapter about
new transportation initiatives in Seattle and requested to hear about
the blind communities concerns.
A new committee is working on tactile way-finding for DOT and they
would like the blindness community to provide input on various
textures and means of way-finding in new transportation projects.
State president Marcy Carpenter pledged the chapter's help in
providing input on these issues to DOT.
A robust conversation followed including requests for audible
pedestrian signals to be installed at several intersections.
DOT has a policy to include APS in new signals and to install 15 new
signals each year based on citizen requests.
The system for prioritizing citizen requests seems opaque and ought to
be clarified in writing for the chapter .

Chapter members paid their dues and filled out the new member forms.
We welcomed five brand new members to the Seattle Chapter.

Marcy gave an update on state legislation that would allow accessible
voting. This is a big state issue for advocacy in this cycle.
Next month we will learn about the Washington Seminar and how Seattle
members did while taking our issues to the Hill.

Members who traveled to attend the memorial service for Scot Lebar in
January provided an update on this extraordinary leader.

Chapter members had a philosophy discussion about speaking up in
challenging situations.
The meeting was adjourned and pizza, fellowship  and fun was had by all.